need help installing Subsurface on linux (ubuntu)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
So I've been trying for the past day or so to get a working install of Subsurface by Linus working on my box. I'm usually pretty decent at doing make/make install etc but can't figure it out for this one. OS is Ubuntu 11.10. Anyone think they can help me out with this one? An opensource diving log software that is native to linux really has me interested.

WEbsite here: Subsurface | A simple dive log in C

Well I'm used to running "./configure" before running a make and there's no configure script that I can find. Output from my make command is below. One possible problem might be that after a ./configure;make;make install of libdivecomputer I end up with libdivecomputer.la in /usr/local/lib rather than libdivecomputer.a as it's called in the subsurface makefile.

mitchell@mitdesk-nix:~/subsurface$ make
make: xslt-config: Command not found
make: xslt-config: Command not found
gcc -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -g -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libxml2 \
-I/usr/local/include/libdivecomputer \
-c libdivecomputer.c
libdivecomputer.c: In function ‘create_parser’:
libdivecomputer.c:81:3: error: too few arguments to function ‘hw_ostc_parser_create’
/usr/local/include/libdivecomputer/hw_ostc.h:64:1: note: declared here
make: *** [libdivecomputer.o] Error 1

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 09:05 AM ----------

Fixed the xlst-config:command not found issue. I just installed libxlst1-dev..... The rest of the issues with 'make' still hold.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 09:11 AM ----------

reinstalled libdivecomputer with 'sudo make install' this time and libdivecomputer.a is now present in /usr/local/lib

So you don't have a libdivecomputer.a file? And also no libdivecomputer.so? Only an .la file? That's not good, that means the lib compile/install didn't actually succeed.

Aside of that, I'm getting the same compile error on my Debian system. Seems to be a discrepancy between libdivecomputer versions. I'll try to come up with a patch.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 12:22 PM ----------

Alright, file libdivecomputer.c line 81, change "return hw_ostc_parser_create(parser);" to "return hw_ostc_parser_create(parser, 0);" (i.e. add the ", 0").

You can get a canonical patch file from here: [Diff] diff --git a/libdivecomputer.c b/libdivecomputer.c index bf912f0..8589a1c 10064 - Pastebin.com
Apply with "patch -p1 < whatever-file-name-you-gave-it"

It compiles cleanly for me then (after installing libgconf2-dev).

Back
Top Bottom