Drysuits and the weightbelt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olalj123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I recently bought my first own drysuit (unfortunately I've been ill so it hasn't been in the water yet...), an Otter Brittanic. Now, when I did the drysuit course I used my BCD with integrated weight pockets, which were very full, but now I'm thinking of switching to a weightbelt.

As the years have gone by my physique has changed so that I no longer have a waist. This means that I have to tighten the weightbelt quite much in order for it to rest on my behind and not slide down.

The question is this: Will a too tight weight belt restrict the airflow in the suit in such a way that air will be trapped in the legs or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks for any input.

Ola

Have you considered diving with a weight harness. solves the problems of a too tight weightbelt and too much weight on the lower back that is unavoidable with a weightbelt. It can safely be worn under a BCD and distributes the weights more evenly that loading up a bcd.

It's pretty hard to cinch a weight belt up enough to impede gas transfer through the suit. Thick undergarments generally prevent that from happening, at least in my experience (and I use a 20 lb weight belt).

Well, I was thinking of dividing the weight between the weightbelt and integrated pockets, I hadn't thought about a harness. That might be something for the future, meanwhile I'll try with the belt and hope it works like TSandM suggests.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try it until next weekend. I'll let you know if it worked.

Thanks Covediver and TSandM

Ola

So, I finally made it into the water with my new dry suit. I dived the following set up:

Dry suit + thinsulate under garment
BP/W (OMS IQ-harness with single tank adapter and 14,5 kg lift wing)
12 l 300 bar tank
Weight belt with pockets and soft lead (4 kg) + 2 kg on tank band

It worked fine, no problems with weight belt slipping or restricting air flow in the suit. I think I can lose some of the weights though. It was a short dive so still lots of air left in the tank, next dive I'll check properly.

Thanks for the help.

Ola

I have a question, Is there a weight harness system that also can function as a tether line harness? (solid steel D-rings etc,) If so who makes it and what do they cost?

Back
Top Bottom