Weight system for BP/W setup - ditchable pockets vs. weight belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edgrimley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I'm taking the plunge on the DRIS BP/W system. Sale price is back on. I saw one on a dive boat recently and it was highly motivating.

Wondering on thoughts on approaches for weight system.

I wore about 23 on a belt with my old BCD.

Expect to drop 6-8 lbs I'm told with the new setup. And thinking about adding a few lbs to the cam bands.

I'm thinking about:

- traditional soft weight belt vs. hard weights on the bp webbing vs. quick ditch pockets on webbing

Looking at seasoft vs xs scuba quick ditch pockets (cheap) for ditchable weight.

LDS mentioned that some BP/W divers put weight right on the webbing on their waists, vs. an extra weight belt. While this sounds convenient, seems like it would be harder to put on, and it's not ditchable.

Would appreciate any insight here.

Thanks!
Eric

I wear a weight belt under the harness belt. Never had any issues. It's ditchable if I need to, but unlikely to accidentally fall off.

XS pockets on weight belt donned under crotch strap. You have best of the worlds. Put soft, hard whatever weight you want in the pockets.

I would say do a combination of threading hard weight and weight pocket on weight belt. The weighth pocket should contains the ditchable weight only, so you don't need to ditch the entire weight belt. There is a video by AG talked about the how to pick the amount of ditchable weight, which I quite agree. You can look it up on youtube

The boat crew will thank you for wearing a weight belt. :wink:

I use a weight belt under the harness. It is not immediately ditchable, but it is ditchable. Peter uses a DUI weight harness and likes it.

Putting all your weight on the rig, when you are carrying that much, makes it very annoying to move around to change tanks, etc.

Forget about putting weight pouches on the webbing idea, IMO. When I dove the BP/Wing I tinkered with this non stop and could never get it right. I noticed those who were happy with the BP/wing were using weight belt or equivalent (ie wt harness).

LDS mentioned that some BP/W divers put weight right on the webbing on their waists, vs. an extra weight belt. While this sounds convenient, seems like it would be harder to put on, and it's not ditchable.
Eric

If my mother in law ever wants to learn to dive... I'm defintely geting her to rig the lead like that

My BP weighs 12lbs with STA. Then I use a DUI weight harness. Very comfortable. I have also used the XS Scuba weight belt. Six pouches hold 5lbs each hard or soft, each pouch ditchable. Either weight system holds plenty of weight and both work well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom