Zeagle Stiletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelpro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After much research I decided that the Zeagle Stiletto will be my first BCD. A few questions.

1) I have no experience with back inflate. After a ton of reading about them its seems the way to go. Not having used one before I'd like to know how one keeps from getting their face pushed into the water on the surface. I'd like to hear the different techniques people use. I have read most people just lean back and float on their back...? Yeah I could go rent one and try it out. I think it would take more then 1-2 dives to get used to and once I reach that point, it should be good. So, I'm set on a back inflate.

2) Its main purpose is for travel. I see there are much lighter BCD's for travel but it also seems you have to give up some features; pockets...D-rings.. I've read all the travel BCD recommendations but like to hear from those who have traveled with the Zeagle Stiletto to make sure I'm not missing something. I do not mind a few extra pounds. How about its bulk when packed on a carry-on?

3) It seems that when I dive tropical in a 3mm suit the best BCD size is L. When I dive cold in a dry suit I need an XL. Is this common to have 2 BCD's; one for tropical and one for cold in a dry suit? I'd hope to use the Zeagle Stiletto for both but I need different sizes.

Thanks!

Jeff

I have a Zeagle stiletto that I use for the exact same purpose and love it. Great travel bc. It's comfy and is a bit lighter than my cold water bc I use diving locally in CA. Not sure about everyone else but having 2 BC's with dedicated purposes works well for me. I just got to dive my Zeagle again last week in Maui and was reminded he much I like that BC after not using it for over a year.

As for packing I am sure u could get it into a carry on, though I just check mine in a suitcase with all the non breakable dive gear.

Not sure on the size issue but I am not surprised you need a bigger BC for cold water diving since your exposure protection is more bulky. I think I actually have my Zeagle in the same size as my Hollis bc and I have used the Zeagle in CA but the outcome of that trip was what made me get a second bc :). I found that, especially at depth, the stiletto lacked sufficient lift for cold water diving activities and the amount of weight/gear I end up in the water with.

For the sitting on the surface issue, I find the Zeagle to work extremely well. Just divide up your weight about 60/40 front to back weight pockets and you should float almost upright at the surface with no issues (and i find it trims out well underwater that way also) Last week I put 4lb weights in each of the 4 pockets on the first day and 5lbs weights in front with 4 lb weights in back on the second day and did not have any surface float issues. It is easier to swim on your back if you get stuck doing a surface swim with the back inflate rigs.

Happy diving and enjoy your Zeagle!

I have a Stiletto.

It is very adjustable. Not having used it for a dry suit I can't say, but it is very adjustable for size. I don't know about 2 different BC's for cold and warm but I am sure the lift capacity plays a role too. I am a warm water wussie.

I have taken it on my dive trips with no problem in checked or carry on. I use a DiveCaddy now and I have no problems packing it for carry on.

I have found that if you don't over inflate it, it is easy to just lean back and float. I also spent some time moving weights and finding the proper combination. Having some of the lead in the rear pockets works well in balancing it. I have 2 lbs in each of the rear pockets and 4 lbs in the ripcord pockets. It keeps me vertical at the surface. This is in a 3mil full wetsuit. I also have the mesh weight bags.

Last edited:
I'm considering purchasing a Stiletto also. The guys at my LDS suggest getting the 44 lb lift bladder instead of the 34 lb for diving the colder waters of the west coast.

I was also considering the Zeagle tech express because so many people rate it so highly but it seems like after adding the integrated weight pockets and a few other bells and whistles your paying the same or more as you would be for the stiletto. I'm also concerned about having a place to carry your lights, finger spool and SMB with the tech express.

I dive an old Zeagle Escape, which is similar to the Stiletto-- same size wing, both for California wetsuit and tropical diving and don't have any particular problems with face in the water. If you do have this problem just move some weight behind the wing and it will counterbalance the front weight. You'll want to use a steel tank when using your drysuit which will also counterbalance your weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom