Rare Catalina Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back to the island last night and heard about this this morning. Just another reason why I dive instead of paddleboarding or surfing.

Yellow kayak/boat.

I wonder if I need to change the color of my wetsuit?

LOL! HT, that is the FIRST thing I thought when I saw that photo!

Have you guys noticed that non-divers always talk about sharks whenever there is any mention of diving? Seriously, its shark shark shark shark shark shark everything shark. What about sharks? Don't you worry about sharks? "I don't dive cause of sharks" etc etc etc. Shark shark here, there, everywhere shark shark shark. And incidents like this just intensify that. Its like saying "i won't go to Los Angeles cause you can get hit by a train there." Wait, what? It's shark shark shark shark shark. And now that a shark bit a foam paddleboard, we're never going to hear the end of it from the never-have-dived. This is kind of like how 100% of midwest folk say they can't dive cause their ears "hurt" when they go down in a pool, because they simply have never heard of the idea of "equalizing". Seriously, 100%. Its a clean 100%. And if one explains the process to them they look slightly confused for a moment, blink, and then say hmmm and change the subject. 100%. Try it tomorrow. No judgement but it is funny. And now I know that for the next seven years every non diver who hears me say I dive at Catalina is going to warn me that there are shark attacks there. Shark shark shark shark. I WISH I could see a shark in the dive park!

Ask them how many divers have been KILLED by sharks here over the past 50 years, then how many drivers have been killed driving the freeways of "Lost Angeles."

Personally I find it hard to call this incident (or the one with the woman in the kayak a few years ago) "attacks" on humans. They were cases of mistaken identity in which the shark thought the board or kayak looked like a marine mammal or something else that might be yummy. The sharks did not target the humans on board... that would be a real attack. Of course, if in the process of attacking the board or kayak the shark maimed or killed the human, semantics wouldn't matter.

After 25 years of diving, I feel safer underwater with sharks, more than I do some other divers.

Back
Top Bottom