Komodo - Diving in The Dragon's Den

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Myself and MA Took a trip out to the Komodo Islands last week. Topside this area is just past the Wallace line and some of the scenery reminded me of parts of arid South Australia. We were on the Siren Fleet Liveaboard and was treated to some of the most remote diving out there. Being the start of the season I was having reservations about the weather but again the lucky shell I always carry with me delivers again with fine weather, glass off conditions and no swell. Waters generally ranged between 26-29C. Visibility from 10-50m +.

p450382664-3.jpg

The currents in Komodo are to be respected, Ive dived in many regions famous for strong currents and the sites around Komodo rate highly up there. Theres some very impressive macro sites and wall dives which are amazing in coral growth. Sangeang Hot Rocks traverses a volcanic underwater topography with bubbles from the volcano emanating from the black sand during the dive. Highlights were Shotgun, Tatawa Besar, Castle Rock, Batu Bolong and Pantai Merah night dive. At Manta Alley we were treated to 10+ Mantas circling around a cleaning station then proceeded to a feed in a formation chain.

Most of the sites are very fishy with quite a few smaller pelagics, however there was a lack of sharkiness to most of the sites. We only saw some some resting white tips in Crystal Rock and some early morning hunting in Big Nose. The conditions for sharks are ideal and with the lack of their presence I fear that most have been fished out. Also the pristine corals of the dive sites are not immune to dynamite fishing either which is a shame as it is a World Heritage area. That said this is Indonesia, and Komodo is in a vast and wild country.

p456058675-3.jpg

p551954464-3.jpg

p82280712-3.jpg

p828903254-3.jpg

p591938049-3.jpg

p318215675-3.jpg

p693580478-3.jpg

p295192709-3.jpg

p158936554-3.jpg

p1054257989-3.jpg

More photos in the gallery below:

Zenfolio | Gavin Ee | Komodo April 2012

Last edited:
Beautiful photographs! Thank you very much for sharing them.

Nice work Gav.
Liking your 1st underwater shot above. New strobes must have helped.
I want to borrow your lucky shell for my next trip.!!

Great pix, Gavin! Thanks for posting.

Glad to hear that Komodo on Siren is such a good trip - i'm off there in June.

Nice report, Gavin. I would bet a rupiah that the coral wide angle image was shot on Tatawa Besar, I was flabbergasted with the so many orange color dendronephtya, like a carpet covering the whole spot.

Didn't have the manta lucky charm with me in Komodo, 2 years ago... didn't see any.

I found that Komodo looked astonishingly like Central California in the summer too with the brown rolling hills. Much more humidity though... :) I loved Shotgun too. 60 foot high walls of bait fish like golden sweepers. So thick, trevallies came out of the gloom they created and nearly ran into us on our safety stop. Never forget the swirling surface of Batu Balong.

Another poster wanted to borrow your lucky shell--I am willing to rent it!

Wonderful photographs--thanks for posting and glad you had such a wonderful time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom