Budget Komodo: Steer clear of CN Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a note, if you go to Komodo, don't go with CN Dive

We had a terrible experience. The boat is dirty and full of rusty nails, if you are not careful you can get really hurt. Everywhere you can find small bugs that look like mini cockroaches. We found them in our plates at dinner, in our bedand when we left, in our luggage (disgusting). The oxygen tank on the boat is rusty (and empty), so if anything happens during your dive, good luck in getting back to shore.
The diving equipment is old and not maintained and they don’t provide guests with dive computers. I started getting water in my regulator at 20Mt under water, not a pleasant experience. Another guest saw her regulator falling in pieces just before going underwater (luckily did not happen under water!). To go to the dive site they use a tiny boat from which you have to climb back on the main one. It is extremely dangerous, in fact my girlfriend fell in between the two boats and got a big cut in her foot. No one from the crew did anything, she was drinking sea water and bleeding and I was the only one who jumped to help her. Our holiday stopped there.

Of course no refund, no insurance. They brought us back to the shore and left us there alone at sunset. We had to find ourselves doctor, pharmacy, hotel for the night. They should be banned from taking tourists.

All of this comfort and nice experience comes for 170 USD/ day. Hardly the best deal in town.

Thanks for this post, it's really helpful as we are planning a liveaboard in Komodo in July and we had been in touch with CN Dive.
We can now erase them from our list.
I hope your girlfriend is better now.

heard good things about them; surprised by your story

I suggest Danny'sss for budget live-a-board trips; had a great time there
more than great actually

Dear readers, do not believe anything that MARCO TAGLIAPIETRA wrote about CN Dive on this thread! I can't believe he had the nerves to write it, only because he wanted a refund! He had embarked on an OUTDOOR ACTIVITY. And as anyone knows, risks of getting injured are always there, even on the safest and most expensive facility.

CN Dive is one of the best dive operators in Komodo. And the owner, Condo Subagyo, is not only one of the best dive masters but also a pioneer in Komodo's underwater industry with extensive knowledge on all of the dive sites as well as on conservation ethics. As a matter of fact, he was one of the first who discovered most of the dive sites in Komodo and has contributed so much to the marine conservation of Komodo, helping and supporting the work of the Komodo National Park Authority.

Marco deliberately forgot to mention that Condo had led him and his girlfriend on SEVEN amazing dives before their unfortunate accident - at Sebayur, Gililawa Darat, Crystal Rock, Castle Rock, Taka Makassar, Batu Bolong and an exciting dive at Gililawa Channel. And he had stayed full 3 days on CN Dive's boat. Asking for a refund is simply ridiculous!

Marco had a lot of problem with his buoyancy. His fins were often all over the place, kicking and stepping on corals. On a couple occasions, feather corals even got stuck on his wetsuits because he got too close to them. To make matter worse, he brought an underwater camera with him, taking underwater photos and not noticing that his fins and body were disturbing and damaging corals. Condo warned him lots of times, lifting Marco's fins with his hook. But Marco just kept doing it again. He should work on and master his buoyancy first before taking on underwater photography, because underwater photography is only for those who have mastered their buoyancy and other diving skills.

He also complained about CN Dive not providing dive computers. As we all know, dive computers are NOT part of the basic dive gear rental. Basic dive gear rental only covers a BCD jacket, regulator-octopus set, mask, fins and wetsuit. A dive computer is a personal item that one should bring himself/herself OR rent at extra cost.

As for his complain about water getting into his regulator, most experienced divers would know that this is actually normal on deep dives and heavy currents, which one would face on many of the dive sites in Komodo.

And while his girlfriend was injured, Marco was more focused on getting angry at Condo and getting his money back. At a visit to Rinca Island, they were supposed to just have a quick walk around the main facility to find komodo dragons. But he decided to walk on with a ranger to find komodo dragon's nests, letting his injured girlfriend walk back to the cafeteria only accompanied by a boat crew. That was very inconsiderate, not to mention unromantic. Most importantly, it showed that he wasn't really worried about the welfare of his girlfriend. He was making a fuss merely to get a refund that he didn't deserve.

It was unfortunate that Marco's girlfriend fell as she was getting on the main boat and hurt her foot; hence cutting their holiday short. But it happens to everyone who's into high-risk outdoor activities such as diving. We all have experienced setbacks and injuries at one point. So Marco should just deal with it, be grateful for the good things that he did experience, and move on.

---------- Post Merged at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Virgine and Sonar, do not believe what Marco wrote. Please read my reply to him below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised to read this complaint and I am sorry about your gf's wound, I hope she is recovered by now.

On the other hand, I have heard positive recommendations about CN Dive and its owner, Condo Subagyo. It also seems that some of Indonesian divers respect him as sort of a legend and pioneer on diving industry in Komodo as mentioned by Pongo Abelli.

Dear readers, do not believe anything that MARCO TAGLIAPIETRA wrote about CN Dive on this thread! I can't believe he had the nerves to write it, only because he wanted a refund! He had embarked on an OUTDOOR ACTIVITY. And as anyone knows, risks of getting injured are always there, even on the safest and most expensive facility.

CN Dive is one of the best dive operators in Komodo. And the owner, Condo Subagyo, is not only one of the best dive masters but also a pioneer in Komodo's underwater industry with extensive knowledge on all of the dive sites as well as on conservation ethics. As a matter of fact, he was one of the first who discovered most of the dive sites in Komodo and has contributed so much to the marine conservation of Komodo, helping and supporting the work of the Komodo National Park Authority.

Marco deliberately forgot to mention that Condo had led him and his girlfriend on SEVEN amazing dives before their unfortunate accident - at Sebayur, Gililawa Darat, Crystal Rock, Castle Rock, Taka Makassar, Batu Bolong and an exciting dive at Gililawa Channel. And he had stayed full 3 days on CN Dive's boat. Asking for a refund is simply ridiculous!

Marco had a lot of problem with his buoyancy. His fins were often all over the place, kicking and stepping on corals. On a couple occasions, feather corals even got stuck on his wetsuits because he got too close to them. To make matter worse, he brought an underwater camera with him, taking underwater photos and not noticing that his fins and body were disturbing and damaging corals. Condo warned him lots of times, lifting Marco's fins with his hook. But Marco just kept doing it again. He should work on and master his buoyancy first before taking on underwater photography, because underwater photography is only for those who have mastered their buoyancy and other diving skills.

He also complained about CN Dive not providing dive computers. As we all know, dive computers are NOT part of the basic dive gear rental. Basic dive gear rental only covers a BCD jacket, regulator-octopus set, mask, fins and wetsuit. A dive computer is a personal item that one should bring himself/herself OR rent at extra cost.

It's a bit of useless point but there are companies that provide free computers during live aboards. The OP should however expect that every LAB company provides free computers.

As for his complain about water getting into his regulator, most experienced divers would know that this is actually normal on deep dives and heavy currents, which one would face on many of the dive sites in Komodo

I consider myself an experienced diver and I never have water in my regulator during deep dives, I have no idea how and why you come to this conclusion, only faulty equipment in my opinion would have water come into a regulator during any dive at any depth.
Also during (really heavy) currents the reg may start free flow but not necessarily get water in your mouth.

And while his girlfriend was injured, Marco was more focused on getting angry at Condo and getting his money back. At a visit to Rinca Island, they were supposed to just have a quick walk around the main facility to find komodo dragons. But he decided to walk on with a ranger to find komodo dragon's nests, letting his injured girlfriend walk back to the cafeteria only accompanied by a boat crew. That was very inconsiderate, not to mention unromantic. Most importantly, it showed that he wasn't really worried about the welfare of his girlfriend. He was making a fuss merely to get a refund that he didn't deserve.

It was unfortunate that Marco's girlfriend fell as she was getting on the main boat and hurt her foot; hence cutting their holiday short. But it happens to everyone who's into high-risk outdoor activities such as diving. We all have experienced setbacks and injuries at one point. So Marco should just deal with it, be grateful for the good things that he did experience, and move on.

---------- Post Merged at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Virgine and Sonar, do not believe what Marco wrote. Please read my reply to him below.

....As for his complain about water getting into his regulator, most experienced divers would know that this is actually normal on deep dives and heavy currents, which one would face on many of the dive sites in Komodo.

........... But it happens to everyone who's into high-risk outdoor activities such as diving. We all have experienced setbacks and injuries at one point.....
1. Water would not get into the 2nd stage because of depth or strong current. However, for faulty equipment then it is something else. BTW, Marco mentioned that his reg took in water at 20m. Are you suggesting 20m is a deep dive?
2. Scuba diving is never a high risk activity unless organized by an incompetent operator using faulty equipment.

As for his complain about water getting into his regulator, most experienced divers would know that this is actually normal on deep dives and heavy currents, which one would face on many of the dive sites in Komodo.

???

Can anyone elaborate on this ? Doesn't make any sense to me, but I would like to be enlightened.

Some water in some second stages at any depth is possible if you are upside down, possibly examining the inside of an arch or other overhead. More likely would be bad/ deteriorating o ring or diaphram.

I always bring my own regulator. Always.

Water coming into the second stage is mostly a damaged mouthpiece (small rupture where you do not easily notice it). Or the exhaust valve is not closing properly. Since this valves became bigger this problems became bigger. E.g. the old series of the Apex Regulator (which include old Suunto and Beuchat). Later this was improved. But even a small piece of seaweed sticking between the valve can cause water coming in the second stage. Indeed it can be a damaged diaphragm or leaking o-ring to a adjustment knob or valve too. If you put the regulator on a tank, keep the valve of the tank closed and then try to breath in, you should notice if it is really leaking badly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom