Stupid Snorkel Question [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Stupid Snorkel Question

Sponsored Link

Lizard Leg
May 9th, 2012, 10:22 AM
My wife uses a snorkel keeper since the two piece clip that came with her snorkel snags hers hair. When we're done in the water and need to pack the mask in its case to protect it, we have to remove the lower section of the snorkel (silicon tube, purge section and mouthpiece - removed as one unit) from the riser to get it off of the mask.

We seem to go through snorkel keepers really fast doing it this way, constantly sliding it over the edge of the tube. Are we damaging the silicon tube removing/reinstalling so often? Is there an easier way?
Thanks for your patience with what I hope isn't too stupid of a question :D

dreamwrx
May 9th, 2012, 10:46 AM
May I ask what snorkel and keeper she is using?

Lizard Leg
May 9th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Snorkel - Oceanic Ultradry
Oceanic Ultradry Snorkel (http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=BrandItemDisplay&BrandName=Oceanic&ProductID=OCNSUD&Page=1&CategoryID=959)
Snorkel keeper she is using right now:
Innovative Neoprene Snorkel Keeper (http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=AQUSKN&Page=1&Term=snorkelkeeper&Hit=1)

NewbaScuba
May 9th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Tearing apart your snorkel every dive, something is going to give eventually.
You could replace the keeper with a velcro strap. It will always come off easily, and its dirt cheap to replace if it gets mucked up. Of course hair will get stuck to that too.

There are a couple of other snorkel keepers out there that will keep you from tearing apart your equipment.
AquaLung Snorkel Keeper (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/UDRSK.html?&&)

shmuggy
May 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I have used a snorkel keeper like this for years with no adverse effect on the snorkel. I also found it more relaibel at keeping the snorkel attached than the one that was provided with the snorkel.

Lizard Leg
May 9th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks! Didn't see that one last time I looked through there. Going to order a few and see how they work for her.

Guba
May 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I handled the problem differently. I modified the case instead of the snorkel or keeper. I simply made a small incision in the box directly in line with where the keeper was on the strap. The snorkel stays on the outside of the case but attached to the strap. Some folks will obviously have a problem with this arrangement, but it worked for me for years with no undue wear on the snorkel, keeper or mask strap.

supergaijin
May 9th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I'm a fan of the rubber ones shaped like a figure 8. They slide on/off easily when wet and I usually find them lying around the place so they're free!

Samma
May 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I went a different way for hair/mask strap management. I use a lycra swim cap (not latex cause it traps a big air bubble). It has really changed my (diving) life -- I have long, fine, curly hair and it's unmanageable on a good day!
I also have folding snorkle I keep in my BP/W pocket rather than keeping it on my mask. It came with a velcro attachment and when I need a snorkle, I pull it out, snap it on and I'm good to go.

dreamwrx
May 9th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I would definitely vote for a silicone snorkel keeper as they can stretch easily.. plus it comes in many colors..

http://www.amazon.com/101Snorkel-Pink-Silicone-Snorkel-Keeper/dp/B001CDZYM8

blue steal
May 9th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I would definitely vote for a silicone snorkel keeper as they can stretch easily.. plus it comes in many colors..

buy a few and put them in your gear bag.

g1138
May 9th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Silicone snorkel keeper. If that becomes too much trouble then tie a bungee loop out of 3/16in bungee and use that as a snorkel keeper.

Put the snorkel through the loop, take an end of the loop and slip it under the mask strap and over the top of the snorkel.
Hair ties work too but don't have enough tension. I only use those in a jam when I'm snorkeling.

Be sure the slide the snorkel back other wise the latter method will have the snorkel prodding you in your temple.
In fact with any method the snorkel should always be slid back on your mask strap.

iluvtheocean
May 9th, 2012, 02:50 PM
i use a neoprene mask strap with a velcro keeper built into it - works great

dvankirk
May 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I say ditch the snorkel and get a foldable one that you can stash out of the way.

simskiscuba
May 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I say ditch the snorkel and get a foldable one that you can stash out of the way.
That's what I do.

spectrum
May 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM
The snorkel flex hose and mouthpiece are prone to coming apart. I add a zip tie to each joint just like you do on a regulator mouthpiece. That being said a routine of dis assembly is not a good way to go.

Doc
May 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM
My wife uses a snorkel keeper since the two piece clip that came with her snorkel snags hers hair.

Problem solved....

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/group%20images/Picture45-1.png

DivemasterDennis
May 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I am with supergaijin on the simple figure 8 keeper, all silicon. Stertch and pull one end over the snorkel to remove, leave the other over the snorkel tube. It's not a good idea to repeatedly pull the flex tube off the barrel of the snorkel. I have at times used a fat rubber band as a keeper to good effect, but after one or 2 dives they lose their strength. Sometimes I wear a snorkel, sometimes it's in a bc pocket as a safety measure. The "figure 8" keeper is real easy on and off, and you will never have to disassemble the snorkel, and you won't lose the snorkel. Those keepers cost about 2 to 3 dollars each, last forever, and fit any snorkel.
DivemasterDennis

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1