Stupid Snorkel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife uses a snorkel keeper since the two piece clip that came with her snorkel snags hers hair. When we're done in the water and need to pack the mask in its case to protect it, we have to remove the lower section of the snorkel (silicon tube, purge section and mouthpiece - removed as one unit) from the riser to get it off of the mask.

We seem to go through snorkel keepers really fast doing it this way, constantly sliding it over the edge of the tube. Are we damaging the silicon tube removing/reinstalling so often? Is there an easier way?
Thanks for your patience with what I hope isn't too stupid of a question :D

Tearing apart your snorkel every dive, something is going to give eventually.
You could replace the keeper with a velcro strap. It will always come off easily, and its dirt cheap to replace if it gets mucked up. Of course hair will get stuck to that too.

There are a couple of other snorkel keepers out there that will keep you from tearing apart your equipment.
AquaLung Snorkel Keeper

I have used a snorkel keeper like this for years with no adverse effect on the snorkel. I also found it more relaibel at keeping the snorkel attached than the one that was provided with the snorkel.

I handled the problem differently. I modified the case instead of the snorkel or keeper. I simply made a small incision in the box directly in line with where the keeper was on the strap. The snorkel stays on the outside of the case but attached to the strap. Some folks will obviously have a problem with this arrangement, but it worked for me for years with no undue wear on the snorkel, keeper or mask strap.

I'm a fan of the rubber ones shaped like a figure 8. They slide on/off easily when wet and I usually find them lying around the place so they're free!

I went a different way for hair/mask strap management. I use a lycra swim cap (not latex cause it traps a big air bubble). It has really changed my (diving) life -- I have long, fine, curly hair and it's unmanageable on a good day!
I also have folding snorkle I keep in my BP/W pocket rather than keeping it on my mask. It came with a velcro attachment and when I need a snorkle, I pull it out, snap it on and I'm good to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom