Self Contained Diving by René Bussoz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently came into possession of one of the early dive texts by René Bussoz 6th edition - February 1955.

On page 6, I find (emphasis added):

"Constant reserve supply of air (Pre-set)

Maximum breathing safety for the underwater swimmer is ensured, by an air reserve. This supply is brought into use when required by a manually operated lever. Experience has taught that the most reliable signal for warning as to when to use the reserve supply of air, should not depend on devices operated by sound, which are not safe and may rust, nor on so-called leakproof pressure gauges which can give false readings after shock, and whose glass may be broken. Furthermore, there is always the possibility of rupture and leaks in the connections and flexible hose required for connecting such devices to the high pressure air supply. The method used in the "Aqua-Lung" is simpler and more positive. A special arrangement within the cylinder valve causes a restriction to the user's breathing when his regular air supply is nearing exhaustion. This immediately warns him that the reserve air suppy is required, and also, that he must ascend at once. (See page 24. description of the positive reserve.)"

Walter once bubbled...
A special arrangement within the cylinder valve causes a restriction to the user's breathing when his regular air supply is nearing exhaustion.
I have several J-valves... one has a pressure indicating rod that gives an indication of the cylinder pressure... just not during the dive.

Pictured is a J-valve that I still use on occassion though the rod is not on the reserve lever either in this picture nor on dives. I use an SPG.

Scubapro used to make a valve like that.

"I use an SPG."

I can't believe you're using a "so-called leakproof pressure gauges which can give false readings after shock, and whose glass may be broken."

Aren't you afraid?

Walter once bubbled...
This immediately warns him that the reserve air suppy is required, and also, that he must ascend at once.

UP, that SP BP.... I'm all misty-eyed...

We always removed the pull rods & reached back to flip the reserve lever.
Having the rod was just another location where it could snag, bump, etc & cause mischief.
Mask straps were threaded "inside out" so there weren't any tails/notches to collect weeds, line, etc. Same for the fin straps, except using Duck Feet removed that problem entirely.
Weight belt buckels were just a pair of D-rings, nice & clean as well.
I found that using a pair of large keepers with the center bar cut out made for a good buckle that held through all sorts of nasty conditions.
Once "reliable" SPGs came out we were thrilled silly. No more "unpleasant suprises".:tease:

Bob3 once bubbled...
Once "reliable" SPGs came out we were thrilled silly. No more "unpleasant suprises".:tease:

Reading about the stuff you "ole timers" had to endure, it's a wonder any of ya survived! :wink:

none of us did survive.
You are communicting with ghosts.:D

Back
Top Bottom