Shameless self promotion...My first book!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When I was a new diver I looked for any information I could find about local dive sites and marine life. The World Wide Internet was not around then, so I spent a lot of time in libraries and book stores. Two of the first books I bought were Diving and Snorkeling Guide to Southern California and Diving West. Both are excellent books, but lack much information about the Palos Verdes peninsula. I had to learn by exploring every goat trail and rocky entry I could.

Over the next two decades I met other divers who showed me their favorite offshore sites as well as finding a few on my own. I knew that divers, new and old could benefit from a more detailed book about the beautiful dive sites around Palos Verdes.
I began writing this book a few years ago but lost the little I had done when my hard drive crashed. This year I vowed to finish the book. I originally had detailed chapters of thirty-six sites. Many are deeper than recreational dives allow. I've been trying to get photos from many of these sites for the past year but conditions would not allow it. I've dropped onto sites such as the Jenny Lynne, UB88 and Caissons recently, only to find poor visibility.

I decided to edit the book to include recreational sites only, and included twenty-five of my favorites. There are many more to dive, but they will have to wait until the second edition is finished.
For now, Diving the Palos Verdes Peninsula is available from CreateSpace, the publishing arm of Amazon.com
I hope others will enjoy the book and even try out a few of these sites. There is a lot to see here.

https://www.createspace.com/3782647

THUMBNAIL_IMAGE

Some of them already are. I included
1. Redondo Beach Artificial Reef
2. Veteran’s Park
3. Palawan
4. R.A.T. Beach
5. Malaga Cove
6. Landing Craft
7. Crane
8. Haggerty’s
9. Flat Rock
10. Avalon Wreck
11. Rocky Point
12. Honeymoon Cove
13. Christmas Tree Cove
14. Neptune Cove
15. Hawthorne Reef
16. Pt. Vicente
17. Marineland
18. Garden Spot
19. Abalone Cove
20. Archery Range
21. White Point
22. Radio Tower
23. Pt. Fermin
24. Cabrillo Beach
25. F. S. Loop

Are there any photos? :D

Seriously, I bet you sell a ton. Congrats on Volume One of (hopefully) several.

Some of them already are....
So far we have only Veteran’s Park :depressed:

Which one has more data available ?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Awesome Phil! Just snagged mine :) I'll have to bring it for you to sign the next time we hang out. Hope to see a collaborative photography book from you and Merry in the future!

Are there any photos? :D

Seriously, I bet you sell a ton. Congrats on Volume One of (hopefully) several.
There are a ton of photos! I knew that in order to show what each site looks like, I would need to include a lot of wide angle shots. The hardest part was finding good enough visibility, and being in the water when that occured.

So far we have only Veteran’s Park :depressed:

Which one has more data available ?

Alberto (aka eDiver)
You can see detail of reefs and wrecks by zooming all the way in on Google Earth. Most of the area between O.C and White Point are available, as is much of the Santa Monica bay. It's fun to fly over Buchanan's Reef and explore Marineland.

I'm going to have to buy this, even though I doubt I'll ever dive any of the sites . . . just for the photography!

I just heard a reporter aquaintenance bag on me about she only gets stories of "shameless self promotion" as if that's a bad thing!! Congratulations Phil! We were out last Saturday leaving the harbor, gonna head over to the Landing Craft, but didnt' have the coordinates, so we thought we'd just look for you! And I think we seen you there, but we decided to give you some space and we out to the Avalon and Flat Rock. I was telling the captain just to radio you, that'd you probably have the coordinates memorized! Anyway we're gonna get your book!! It's gonna stay on the boat, hoping they're water-resistant pages!

I included coordinates for all offshore sites. My hope is that everyone will have the opportunity to enjoy these sites as much as I do. Scott and Margaret Webb always say," Don't give out your secret spots!" followed by,"There are no secret spots." :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom