Aqualung Airsource 3 quick disconnect LP hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slmason.72

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99

I would like to run all MiFlex style hoses on my gear. I have had no trouble with the reg hose and BCD quick connect hose. I am, however, having trouble finding one for my AirSource 3. If you're wondering where the extra hose comes into this, I have an Aqualung Dimension with i3, but also added the AirSource 3 for redundancy and streamlining. I also eliminated the high pressure hose by going with a wireless AI computer.

The AirSource 3 has what appears to be a proprietary quick connect coupling. I have been able to find two major styles of these quick connects, but not one listed to fit Aqualung. The quick connect that came with the device is not a permanent attachment to a hose, but what appears to be a 7/16-24 female to quick connect adapter. To replace this hose, I need a 3/8-24 male to 7/16-24 male hose of at least 26, but preferably 30" in length.

I have searched on line and have not even been able to find a standard rubber hose for these specs. Any thoughts?

Usually, if there is a screw in adapter, it will screw onto a standard second stage hose. 3/8 male on one end, 9/16 on the other.

If you already have the screw on adapter, you probably just need a regulator hose. Divegearexpress.com has a wide variety of hose lengths including flex hoses. Double Braided Flexible Hoses for SCUBA - Dive Gear Express If you need the screw on adapter, they may have that also on this page: BC Integrated Backup Second Stages - Dive Gear Express I think AL takes the same size as Seaquest. But it is unclear so you may want to give them a call.

Yes, the Aqualung Air Source 3 takes the Dive Gear Express "SEAQUEST" adapter.
I have purchased one and personally verified it.

Some info:
The Regulator hose and Inflator hoses are comprised of 2 parts: 1) LP hose and 2) adapter (or lack of an adapter)
In general, the same LP hose is used for the Regulator and the Inflator.

Poseidon-Cyklon-Low-Pressure-Regulator-Hose-Big-1.jpg

dx_70404-640.jpg

In the case of a regulator, the hose is often used without any special adapter and just threads right on to the regulator (sometimes an adapter or 'reducer' is needed to accommodate the differences between the reg fitting diameter and the hose fitting diameter or one can also buy a hose with the matching fitting size, as well.)
dx-70426_1.jpg

In the case of an Inflator, often a Quick Connect adapter is added to the hose to make attaching/detaching the Inflator hose to the BC easier. (NOTE: one "could' forego this and just screw it on directly to the power Inflator, but that make assembly/dissassembly of one's equipment a bit more clumsy and time consuming.)
upload_2017-3-5_9-52-25.png

Some manufacturers, when trying to minimize manufacturing costs, build a hose with this QC Connection 'built-in'. That is, the QC adapter part cannot be removed. In this case, the hose is dedicated to being just a 'standard' LP Inflator hose and cannot easily be adapted or altered.
dx-7065_1.jpg

The Inflator QC adapter employs a Schrader valve (same valve as a tire or bicycle tube) inside to turn on/off the airflow when it is connected/disconnected. Likewise the Power Inflator employs a mating adapter to engage with this Schrader valve.

DX-70407.jpg

Typically this QC The Schrader valve offers restricted air flow and is insufficient to to supply the additional volume of air needed under the demands of a Safe 2nd regulator required for breathing activity. Thus, the manufacturers of most Integrated Regulators use a different adapter (using a different valve rather than the Schrader valve). The Integrated Reg adapter (and associated Power Inflator fitting) is generally of a larger bore and is less restricted, air-wise, than the Inflator QC adapter (i.e., no Schrader valve inline).
0.jpg

So, the Airsource 3 'hose' is not really special. It is a standard LP hose with a Integrated Regulator Power Inflator adapter installed.

Unfortunately, there is not ONE accepted 'Universal Standard' for the Integrated Reg adapter.
The three main variants are :
  • ScubaPro Air II, Tusa Duo-Air IR3, Sherwood Gemini, Zeagle Octo-Z, Atomic SS1
    and ODS (Sold by Blue Reef, Dive Rite, Hog, DGX and others),
  • SeaQuest Air Source, Aqualung AirSource3, Aquatec Air 3, and US Divers Air Mic
  • Oceanic Air XS, Aeris Air Link, Apeks and Zeagle Octo Plus, Beauchat Venturi.
Dive Gear Express sells the first two.
dx-7041xx.jpg

So in short, you do not need a 'special' hose for your Air Source 3 (Aqualung, however DOES sell a dedicated hose with a non-removable adapter for the Airsource 3) , just a standard reg hose and special adapter.

You can buy a standard 'Regulator' LP hose and either move the Integrated Reg QC adapter from your old hose to your new hose, or buy another Integrated Reg QC adapter and install it on your new hose.

But you cannot use a dedicated LP Inflator hose whose QC adapter cannot be removed.

If you have the Airsource 3 outfitted with the Cut-Off valve, the above still applies, but the fitting you need will likely not be the same as without the cutoff valve.

upload_2017-3-5_10-47-3.png

vs
upload_2017-3-5_10-51-18.png

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Recently, I have purchased another adapter from DGX.
Although it LOOKS like the others, it has some problems.

Outwardly, it leaks air when pressurized.
I contacted DGX.
They immediately sent me a replacement, with no hassle.
It performed the same way.
I talked to them again and they offered to refund me, again without hassles.
They indicate that since they don't actually have an Airsource 3, they can't do any testing.

I don't have anything bad to say about DGX. They tried to do everything possible to appease me.
...and I can't imagine they sell more than a few of these each year (if even THAT many).

I just wanted to get to the root cause of the problem.
I'm wondering if there isn't an 'old' and 'new' version of the Aqualung QD that are slightly different in size ?
Anyone have any ideas ?

I did find a look-alike part in an older 2014 Aqualung parts catalog on the Airsource 3 page.
The current Aqualung adapter looks a bit different, though.
There is an Aqualung brand adapter kit with this newer look adapter available. (model escapes me right now).

I did a bit of testing and took the DGX adapter apart.
I found that the ID of the O-Ring that seals against the male QD piece seemed larger than expected. It had some 'play' if I put it on the male QD by itself.

I dug through my spare parts and found a slightly smaller (O2 safe) O-ring and tried that.
It connected more solidly (no 'play') and did not leak when pressurized.

Although it may seem like the answer, I am not 100% comfortable using it as now the OD does not seat properly in the O-Ring groove. The OD is slightly smaller than the original.

I am going to look for something that seats a bit better.

I went to my LDS, but was told they don't really have the different sizes binned out. Generally, they use the parts in a kit, and dump all the extras into a container. They let me dig through the container and allowed me to take a few samples to try.

I will maybe need to get my calipers out and take some measurements to accurately determine the size.
I've found an O-Ring chart that gives the model number EX -109 etc. vs. the ID, OD, thickness, and tolerances. With a few measurements, I should be able to determine a better choice of O-Ring.

As a follow-up to my previous post:
1) I have been using the DGX adapter with my substitute O-Ring for about 50+ dives without issue of
a) Air leaking
b) Breathing issues
c) ability to disconnect hose when pressurized without any air leaks
2) The O-Ring has
a) ID = (just got back from a trip, will measure today)
b) OD = (just got back from a trip, will measure today)
c) Thickness = (just got back from a trip, will measure today)
d) and althought it does not fit snugly and 'rattles around' when installed, it has perfromed to my satisfaction

Back
Top Bottom