Nomad XT Sidemount Tank Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmantei

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just waiting for my new nomad to arrive in, and I'm wondering what feedback anyone has about primary tank attachment on the Nomad XT's. There are a few options, clip to ring bungies (using a stage straps), take the rings out and use the loop bungies over the tank valve, Rob Neto's loop bungie mod (Sidemount Rig Modifications « Rob Neto).

Any pros and cons would be great. I'll get in the pool to try a few methods out before I decide, but doesn't hurt to learn from those who've tried the different methods before.

In regards to rigging up the stage straps, in case thats the way I decide to go, I was thinking that the strap should be a few inches longer than what I've done for stage bottles in the past, am I on the right track with that?

If you use the Nomad Ring Bungies (and the chokers), it will be much shorter than a stage strap IME, because the clip is in line with the top of the valve, and the entire tank is further down the side of the body.

In fact I have been playing with leaving the stage strap spacing (for ease of tank carrying) and actually adding another cam band to hold the bottom clip.

When I shorten the spacing of the stage strap, I can's carry the tank with the stage strap. Of course, the tank can always be carried by the valve.

With the Ring Bungees I did have to run the stage strap slightly shorter. Now keep in mind, I only use AL80's. You must make sure you use the chokers though. What I liked about the ring bungees was the ease of use. I could just clip in and go. I have changed over to loop bungees now. I prefer how they trim out the bottles over how the ring bungees do. I can get the valves more up behind my armpits with the loops. I still use a neck loop to clip in to my chest dring though so I have a solid connection to the neck of the bottle.

I say try both, and use what you like. I even tried the one continuous bungee, but liked that the least.

If you use the Nomad Ring Bungies (and the chokers), it will be much shorter than a stage strap IME, because the clip is in line with the top of the valve, and the entire tank is further down the side of the body.

Dammit your right. I didn't think about that forcing the tank toward your feet. I almost finished the first strap. Doh, should have posted sooner.

In fact I have been playing with leaving the stage strap spacing (for ease of tank carrying) and actually adding another cam band to hold the bottom clip.

I had been thinking along the same lines, adding an extra hose clamp at least while toying with the spacing, it just didn't seem clean, but certainly would be convient.

When I shorten the spacing of the stage strap, I can's carry the tank with the stage strap. Of course, the tank can always be carried by the valve.

Carrying the tanks via the stage strap, that probable wont happing with HP130's :wink:. I probably don't even really need the strap, but couldnt think of the best way to secure and orient the bolt snap properly without the strap pulling the bottom of the bolt snap down.

Carrying the tanks via the stage strap, that probable wont happing with HP130's :wink:. I probably don't even really need the strap, but couldnt think of the best way to secure and orient the bolt snap properly without the strap pulling the bottom of the bolt snap down.

If you ever do figure a way that works, post it, please.

I was paying with a bunch of different ideas, but I have only put into practice the double cam band solution. It's messy but I want people to be able to use rental tanks, and be able to use the straps for handling, in or out of the water. I like to leverage the ease of attaching and detaching of the Nomad system and sometimes have a couple of tanks set up underwater, and I find a stage strap makes it easier to handle the tanks UW. Of course that's AL80s but.

Also I have been trying to implement any new ideas, and if the bottom clip runs from the stage strap there is no way to try 12 o clock for the top clip, and 3 o clock for the bottom clip, for instance. FWIW I did not find any particular advantage to rotating the top and bottom clip with the Nomad Ring Bungee. It seems that the Ring itself turns the tanks to a 3 o clock position in a way, since the top clip is locked into the valve and it can transmit postioning force.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2012 at 04:54 AM ----------

I still use a neck loop to clip in to my chest dring though so I have a solid connection to the neck of the bottle.

Is that a bungie to the front or is it hardware?

Is that a bungie to the front or is it hardware?

I use 550 cord (parachute cord) and a bolt snap. I wanted something with a little more reliable then bungee. At times I have to walk my tanks a good distance with them mounted.

Just thought I would update the thread. I did end up going the ring bungie route, but definitly using the chokers. As far as the stage straps, I think I am now appriciating having the strap for handling the tanks underwater.

With the Ring Bungees I did have to run the stage strap slightly shorter.

As far as the length of the stage straps, I tried using the standard size stage straps and they were indeed way too short. The tanks were placed too far back on my body, to the point that they would interfere with my frog kick. Significantly lengthening the straps (making up new straps) allowed the tank bottoms to be attached further up and pulled bottom of the tanks forward (when horizontal), getting the tanks further forward eliminated the leg interference issue. This was with HP130's so I suppose strap length may vary with tank and body size (6ft tall, so not a monster, but not short either).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom