Ontario Shipwreck Hunting laws or hassles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks, I wanted to do some searching for new wrecks in the Georgian Bay area and maybe go mid lake to search for the Carruthers. I hear there might be some implications with the government on side scan sonars? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Jared

I hear there might be some implications with the government on side scan sonars?

What did you hear specifically and where did you hear it? Knowing that might trigger more discussion from people :idk:

What did you hear specifically and where did you hear it? Knowing that might trigger more discussion from people :idk:

Dah. No ones going to out there looking for you. Screw everything become a pirate.
:dork2:

I do not believe you can mount any professional type survey of any type in Ontario on Crown Property without permits and most importantly insurance!!

I don't think there are any laws regarding looking for fish structure and habitat. If it happens to look like a wreck so be it.

I don't think there are any laws regarding looking for fish structure and habitat. If it happens to look like a wreck so be it.

if you try to get around laws , you get burnt , people who try to do somthing the government doesnt like then flaunt it really get burned bad .....thats one of the first things you find out in a commercial course .......if you ever took one

I'm sure they will enjoy your boat......

well they would enjoy the "proceeds of a crime" when they auction your stuff off

Well that permit seems like a pain. Oh well rules are rules. If I break them in Canada, being an American citizen, will defiantly get burned. But thanks for all the info.
Jared

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom