A new pump for Uncle Pug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Shane has done a lot to get the boat ready for geoducking.

The blue box houses the surface supplied air compressor and eventually the water pump will be mounted in there as well and the air tank moved to the top of the house.

Here we put the pump on deck just to test it. It squirts heap big water.

Way cool toys Pug! Being just a rec diver I assume the pump is supposed to pump warm water down to you. How do you heat the water? Do you have a heat exchanger on your engine to heat it?

Joe

The pump draws sea water through the white hose and discharges through the black hose to a riser at the stern with two ball valves and quick couplers.

From there the water is sent out through 300' of 1 1/2" firehose to the geoduck diver (Shane in this case) who uses a 3' stinger made from 3/4" pipe to *dig* the geoducks.

The gpm and pressure depend upon the throttle setting of the motor... but to give you an example while we were testing it today I was shooting a 3/4" stream of water about 50'~60'.

The pump will handle two divers so going solo Shane will have it throttled down. At working pressure he can use it to jet propel himself along the bottom... and that is why he wears a 70# weightbelt.

Sorry, I'm missing something.

This thing is for propulsion? What's he doing down there anyway?

A geoduck is a clam according to my dictionary. He's fishing?

You can sure get rid of any of that nasty old vis with a rig like that. :D

Does Shane use a reaction nozzle or just a straight jet?

How do you find and catch the geoducks?

Are you using helmets, FFM or scuba style reg on a LONGGGGG hose?

Sounds like good diving work, heck you even have that nice cool water so you don't overheat working down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom