Help choosing double wing for BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feitr

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be taking a cavern course soon and plan on doing cave/full cave eventually (live in australia, takes a while to progress through the courses here). I'm not really sure how to estimate the wing size i'll need as i'll be diving a drysuit which i've never done so i don't have much of a reference point.

I am 6ft, ~165lbs, will be diving a dry bilaminate suit, with steel 12l tanks (~100s) each of which is about 9.5lbs negative when full (19 total) - even if i do 10.5s at some point those are still 9 lbs negative each.

Anybody have any views on either of these: Hollis C - Series 360 Doubles Wings [208.1250.045] - $200.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!! and Hollis X - Series Doubles Wing [208.1250.037] - $200.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!! (gives 37, 45, 55, or 60 as options).

Can anybody step me through how to calculate necessary lift with a drysuit? How positively buoyant are they when you have the minimum "i'm not getting squeezed" air in them? Obviously i am carrying a crapload of weight and presumably would need alot of lift to counteract that i'm just not sure how to factor the drysuit into it all. Thanks!

EDIT: The other question i had was (1) am i going to be so heavy that i should get an al backplate and (2) do most people use a separate backplate/harness for doubles or do you just switch wings (i'd prob switch around somewhat often). Doesn't cost much for a hog harness plus al backplate is all im thinking.

Wings [brands] are [like so many other pieces of gear] going to be a personal preference....I dive double 100's, 120's and 130's for caves and usually carry a small deco bottle also...I'm 6'4" and almost always wear wet suits.....I use a SS bp exclusively [DSS Long] and I use the following; 100's/Apex wtx4, 120's and 130's/DSS Torus 50 or 52 [can't remember what it's rated at]...I like the DSS wings better...For me they're lower profile, better made and trim me out easier....But you're going to get a lot of opinions about this so you'll have to try as many as possible to find what you like best.......

Back
Top Bottom