Diving in Bali--Tulamben or Pusa Penida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmrose17

New
Reaction score
Hello! I am planning on getting my divemasters license this summer in Bali and am trying to decide which area I want to be in. It looks like the two most popular places are Tulamben (for the Liberty Wreck) and Nusa Penida (for the big pelagic frequenters). I will be there for two months so wanted to get some advice on which would be better to dive at repeatedly and stay in for a lengthy period of time. I am in to macro photography which I hear is great in Tulamben but the idea of seeing schools of manta, mola mola, and sharks regularly is hard to ignore. Aside form the diving, is one better than the other in terms of the surrounding area, local culture, and touristy-ness? Thanks for the help!!!

I have been diving at both places and enjoyed them both, but it was my dives off Nusa Penida that convinced me to really get into diving. After seeing the manta rays off Manta Point and then seeing the elusive Mola Mola at Crystal Bay the same day I was hooked on diving and bought my own gear and an underwater housing for my camera as soon as got home.

As for topside, both locations are rather remote and far removed from the tourist areas, although many divers stay in Tulamben. It is a fairly long drive from the main tourist centers of Bali. Most people stay on Nusa Lembongan, or come for the day from Bali rather than staying on Nusa Penida when diving that area. While I have never been on Nusa Penida, it is my understanding that it is off the beaten track and the tourist infrastructure is very limited. Given your choice, I would stay on Nusa Lembongan for 2 months, but then I like the big stuff.

Hi, when are you going?

I'm in Tulamben at the moment - really recommend it, but conditions change pretty dramatically depending on the wind/swell/current.

I've been here 3 weeks, here's a couple of vids I made when I first got here, the conditions aren't as good at the moment:

CrazyAboutScuba - YouTube

I would go Amed or Tulamben (or both). I'm going to Amed next week, will let you know what the conditions are like.

NB There's very little to do here in Tulamben - diving only. I'm staying at the Liberty Dive Resort and can really recommend them.
Liberty Dive Resort (Tulamben, Indonesia) - Resor Khusus Ulasan - TripAdvisor

Bali is a small place. Don't stay in 1 place, move around - although I guess if you're working towards your DM you probably won't be able to do that! Use a dive shop that dives in many areas/does tours if I were you.

I am in to macro photography which I hear is great in Tulamben but the idea of seeing schools of manta, mola mola, and sharks regularly is hard to ignore.

You will see Manta rays & Mola Mola around Nusa Penida no problem, but don't expect to see much sharks there : they are massively & daily fished for their fins around Nusa Penida like all around Bali ...

You might see a few bamboo & nurse sharks when diving Manta Bay or Manta Point but that's about it ...

Have to disagree here as you CAN still find whitetips at Gili Biaha, Tepekong and Mimpang, and the ferry channel at Blue Lagoon.

Tepekong, Bali dive site - YouTube

Mimpang, Bali dive site - YouTube

Gili Biaha - Bali dive site - YouTube

Sure but, the OP was talking about Tulamben or Nusa Penida. Sharks are not easy to spot on those 2 dive destinations. Period.

PandangBai / Candidasa are among the best areas to see some sharks but still, sharks are massively fished on a daily basis all around Bali and Nusa Penida.

See Shark Fishing in Bali - Bali Shark Project ...

Have to disagree here as you CAN still find whitetips at Gili Biaha, Tepekong and Mimpang, and the ferry channel at Blue Lagoon.

Tepekong, Bali dive site - YouTube

Mimpang, Bali dive site - YouTube

Gili Biaha - Bali dive site - YouTube

For how much longer.I see less and less there over the last few years and sharks are being fished out of BALI.we need all the dive OP'S to support BAIL SHARK PROJECT.

@mmrose.17 hard decision as Tulamben is best place to be based on bali and great macro and area's around.Nusa Lembongan you have a nice beach,nice sites and mantas and mola mola in season and as you don't mind loads of boats chasing those two things also

I would also ask you to take into consideration a dive op to take your DM with,who supports the Bali shark project as most of them are not interested,which is sad and shameful.

What months are going.

Its a shame that sharks but also mantas are disapearing around Bali. The fish industry takes it all... Same here around lombok. The fish market in east lombok is one of the biggest shark and manta markets of Indonesia.
For diving Bali is a beautiful place and love it. For the big stuff i should go to nusa, fur the smaller stuff amed. but the wreck is still beautiful....

Back
Top Bottom