Internet on Komodo liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tovster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking forward to an 8-day Komodo liveaboard soon. At times I will need to check in on patients via email and return some emails while I am away. Is there a 3G network of sorts in Komodo that can be picked up on my Android while out at sea? Can you recommend a SIM card that will work well in the area? Or will I need to figure out how to bring along some satellite setup to briefly check and return emails while out on the dive sites? Also, can you recommend a reliable SIM card for Indonesia in general?

Thank you so much,

Terry

Terry, just about to finish my four week Indo diving holiday, where I was on the Komodo Dancer 3.5 weeks ago. They have installed a reception tower on Komodo Island itself, you will see it when you are there. Whilst on board many staff were using their mobiles and we had a wireless 3g setup for one of the staff to conduct business. Not sure what sim provider they were using tho.

HTH

Or will I need to figure out how to bring along some satellite setup to briefly check and return emails while out on the dive sites?
If you do, I think it's one of these: https://www.satellitephonestore.com/rent/inmarsat/ I looked into it a few years ago also. At the time I don't think there was any way you could transmit data over a standard Iridium phone - just talk/text msg. - of course that may have changed now.

What I do is set up a personal hotspot with my iPhone and tether it to my laptop/iPad for email. The coverage is the problem. I just roam with my Thailand package (which I buy with a specific international roaming flat rate) so that I can connect with whichever provider I can get a signal for, but if you are going to buy an Indo SIM card from a specific service provider (meaning you can only pick up a signal from their towers), probably the SimPATI tourist card offers the widest coverage. There will be towers on Flores, Komodo, and Rinca at least.

Back
Top Bottom