Your input on a light weight bcd for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been doing some reading and searching but not sure I've found what I'm looking for yet and ScubaBoarders have the best knowledge out there so thought I'd ask you guys.

I want a bcd that's light and easy for when I travel. I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to my gear - I just want something that works. Ideally I'd like a pocket to put my small reel and surface marker in. This is only going to be used at most a couple of times a year probably as I like my big ol' BCD that I use here, but it's a monster to pack with such tight weight restrictions.

I don't know what else to offer for information on helping narrow things down: I'm a fairly experienced diver, I dive quite often, I've used a wide range of rental & borrowed gear here or there - some of which fit, some which didn't - with no problems or issues, I'm a fairly standard size (I think!), I don't dive doubles or anything tricksy, I'd like to keep it relatively inexpensive instead of high end.

I will be buying from the US only - hopefully before I land there in early June so it's waiting for me before I head to Bonaire.

It does not get much more simple than a BP/W with a AL backplate. I am sure there are BC's out there that are lighter. But at least with a BP/w you can update/ downgrade. which most travel BC, you cannot do anything.

Oxycheq 17lb Travel Wing, with HOG harness (stripped of D-Rings if you don't use them) and the Ultra-Lite Travel Plate are pretty awesome if you want to maintain a conventional BCD approach.

Otherwise... look into sidemount diving... can't get smaller/lighter than a 'Razor'. :)
(In all seriousness, can get all my core diving kit into a laptop bag, less fins).

Pockets? Sew one onto your wetsuit, or buy a pair of 'X-Shorts' and dive those with a rash guard on top.

alcina,

I've started using an Oceanic Biolite. Light weight, packs small, very simple, back inflate, trim pouches on the back, simple waist strap; if you use a weight belt then the waist-mounted weight pouches can be used as "pockets". Nice little BCD.

Bill

I just happened to see this the other day - IDK anything about it though. Aeris EX Lite Travel BCD, Black $175 on sale.

It looks like the Aeris version of the Oceanic Biolite mentioned ^ - they're owned by the same company. The Biolite is $429.

I just happened to see this the other day - IDK anything about it though. Aeris EX Lite Travel BCD, Black $175 on sale. It looks like the Aeris version of the Oceanic Biolite mentioned ^ - they're owned by the same company.

Ha! That is the same as the Oceanic Biolite. Nice price.

I have the Cressi Air Travel which is a back inflate. It's quite stable for having a soft backing. It has one main tank strap and one stabilizing velcro strap. It has integrated weight pockets as well as an additional cargo pocket. Three air dumps and packs about the size of a large shoe box. It weights about 5lbs.

It's nowhere near the price of that Aeris though since it is pretty new ($400). Take a look at this travel bc review.

TOP STORY / Travel BCs

and while the Cressi Air Travel is first place pick the Aeris comes in second..

Also Scubapro Litehawk and Zeagle express tech should also be considered.

It doesn't compete against the under $200 price point, but here are 2 Great, Comfortable, BC options:

1. Alum. BP &_W_Package

2. A popular choice for our divers that don't go with a BP & Wing is the Travel Pac .

** For both of these options the weight pockets divers generally use are Trim Weight Pockets that mount to the cam strap.

** If you want a pocket, you can add Bellows Velcro Pocket and there are other options as well.

As you can see the plus with both of these options are that they are light-weight, you can adjust D-Ring placement and set it up how You want it.

If you like the BP/W ideals (minimalistic and rugged) look at the Zeagle Tech Express. Its very light and compact.The price of $260 is easy to handle.

I had to add a couple of D-rings and triglides to make it feel right and its not a true BP/W (being a soft pack and a pull dump) but for a travel rig its really nice. I like reducing features without reducing robustness in order to attain a small and light rig.

Forgot to add, mine weighs 3.4 lbs on my luggage scale with a 35lb wing and a couple extra metal D-Rings. Drop to a smaller bladder you might be close to 3lbs.

The cressi Travel Light is the way to go it is very light weight, folds up small and is inexpensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom