Nikon D100 w/ Light & Motion Titian Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldh2odiver

Registered
Reaction score
I've been taking picutes for a few years now and want to go digital. I have taken many underwater shots with the Nikonos V and many above water shots with the Nikon 65(a cheep Nikon). Has anyone had the chance to play with the Nikon D100 Digital camera and the Light and Motion Titan 100 Housing? This is the set up I'm thinking about buying however before I blow 4-5grand on a new sep up I want to make sure I'm not being favarable to Nikon and not fully looking at Cannon or another cammera. What do you think? Any information would be greatly appericated. Thanks.

I recently traded up from my L&M Tetra to a L&M Titan D100 housing a Nikon D100 camera, and I have been very pleased with the results. The camera takes outstanding pictures, and the Remote Optical Controller allows you to adjust your strobe power up and down ( rather than your f/stop ) easily with buttoms on the handgrips. This is very cool when shooting Macro!!!

I've only taken the camera and housing on one trip, to the Caverns of Akumal, but you can see the results here.

The housing is way too expensive, but works great. I used my tetra housing for 3 1/2 years, and it never had a problem, even with all the shore diving and banging around it takes up here in the Pacific Northwest.

The Fuji S2 may take better pictures, but there is more support for the Nikon D100. The canon SLR's are also awesome, but your housing choices are limited. :)

I bought the Nikon D100 because I already had an N70 and several lenes for it. I have been extremely pleased with the camera for both land and UW photography.

I looked at all of the housings that were available for the D100 and settled on the Light and Motion Titan. I just got back from my first trip (16 days of diving) using the housing, and coundn't be happier. I shot with the flat port and the dome port. Having everything you need on the hand grips is great, strobe adjustment worked extremely well (dual DS-125 strobes), and buoyancy was as advertized (slightly negative). Overall, it was very comfortable to use.

If you can get over the sticker shock, it's a great housing and I would highly recomment it.

MAN-O-WAR once bubbled...
great shots!
Boydski, what lens (or lenses) are you attaching to your camera for the underwater photos?

Thanks Man-o-war!

I was using a Nikon 16mm fisheye with the L&M dome port and 16mm adaptor ring. There's a bit of distortion around the edges of the pictures, but it's not too bad.

I've got my eye on the new 12-24mm lens, but haven't talked myself into it yet. :wink:

12-24 mm lens..sounds ideal for a digital SLR and underwater photo, but man, you are pouring money into this hobby, aren't you?
I may be getting the equipment you have...but it will be 5 years from now and on ebay...lol!

luv2scuba:
If you can get over the sticker shock, it's a great housing and I would highly recomment it.

I am also looking into getting the D100 with the L&M housing.

Anyone have any new thoughts about this system since the last post in December (before I actually buy it :wink: )?

I owned the d100 and aquatica housing with a 12-24, 60mm micro, 70-210 zoom, dual sea and sea 350 pro strobes. Its a good set up but alot of equipment to travel with and costly. My set up ran for 15,000 dollars. I sold it for 3300 us. I decided to go video instead.

I have the D100 in an Aquatica housing. L&M housings are great but... I have been on several trips were people have had trouble with them and it required swapping out circuit boards and using soldering irons. I think they are like Ferraris; great when they work but when you have a problem it's major.

Back
Top Bottom