mantas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beche de mer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like a close encounter with mantas.

Anyone know any reliable spots, mantas guaranteed, nice and up- close?:)

Yap

also, Palau, Manihi in French Polynesia. Galapagos & Cocos are also good places to encouter mantas.

There is another excellent place in Milne Bay in PNG but it involves a 7 or 10 night liveboard trip.

Exmouth, WA is pretty good for Mantas, especially June-August. Corla Bay just to the south of Exmouth claims to spot them year round.

Unless you're diving in an aquarium you can't get a 100% iron clad guarantee. Your chances however are pretty good with everything already listed. Kona, Hawaii is a good one as well.

Ishigaki, Japan.
100% in spring and fall for my last 6-7 trips at least, and close to 100% the rest of the year if you dive for 3 or more days.

GratefulDiver once bubbled...
Unless you're diving in an aquarium you can't get a 100% iron clad guarantee.

Actually, Yap divers used to have a 100% guarrantee advertised in dive magazines in the 80's. They offered a full refund of the trip cost if you didn't see Mantas. I wasn't diving in the 80's, but I saw a ad cut-out framed on their wall. I don't know why they still don't do it, probably because Yap is more well known now as a Manta spot. But as far as seeing Mantas, it is still pretty much 100% guarranteed.

When you go diving at one of the Manta spots in Yap, its not like, "oh we hope to see some Mantas today", it's more like "you're going to see Mantas today". There is very little chance of not getting a close encounter with a Manta on every Manta dive in Yap. I saw several on each dive, at least 5 Mantas. It was typically around 12 Mantas though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom