Trimming out in Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've seen some discussions recently about how to best trim out in sidemount. A pretty vocal group has been those who don't believe in using trim weights to trim out in sidemount. While I agree that using trim weights is not necessary, I do believe there are instances where the use of trim weights can be much safer than relying on an air bubble or separate trim bladder to keep horizontal trim. Here's an article I wrote on this subject - Trimming out in Sidemount.

Good article as usual Rob.

Great article! I took a sidemount course last fall and have been trying out different tank configurations (lp steel 45's, lp steel 80's, and al 80's) since then to get used to each and figure out what kind of tanks I want to buy eventually. I'll have to try using the shoulder trim weights instead of using a cam strap with 2-4lb lead attached to each tank when diving aluminum tanks to adjust my trim.

Also learned sidemount diving wet and drysuit using single tank jacket bc, and still figuring out how best to combine them. Currently using the dry suit mostly for buoyancy, but will have to try using the wing instead and only add enough air to the drysuit to compensate for squeeze since it sounds like that is the preferred method.

Very good article, and the last paragraph is pertinent to backmount divers, too. I think all too few cave divers have ever blown their tanks down to near-empty to check weighting, which is why even my instructors have told me to "take those weights OFF".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom