Want to Fly U/W? Now you can!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watermann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives

We are currently refining a new way of moving through the water at faster speeds and longer distances using natural forces. The Dive Glider does this very well both freediving and on scuba and without batteries, propellers, or noise, and with little or no maintenance. Like surfing, sailing, or skiing the pilot manipulates natural forces to propel himself through the water and did I mention it's FAST! FUN! and you look very COOL doing it. We are especially interested in knowing how you think it may be used in the real world as we don't know what all applications it could be suited for. For more info go to
www.goldenrockdive.com DiveGlide page.

looks cool, can someone explain how they are doing this without batteries or props

Compressed air maybe?

From the website:

Its power is derived from the use of scuba tanks and weights so there is little that can go wrong and no real maintenance required.

My guess is that you're changing it's buoyancy by flooding and emptying ballast tank with air from a cylinder. The pure up/down force is transduced to forward motion by the angle of attack on those wings.

Looks like fun!

Edit: I'll happily beta test for you and let you know how it works in cold water :-D

Hm ... pilot's got him a pair of split fins and a Spare Air ... got me doubts, mate.

That'll fix the Spare Air ... now, what about the splits?

Nothing to fix there, split fins are the fastest fins except for red ones. You see the split creates flux vortices that actually suction the diver through the water. Surprised you didn't know that Thal.

You all have made my day! I really appreciate the interestand one of my favorite things is listening to people try and figure out how itworks. In my mind it is so simple thereshould have been something like this years ago. So since there isn’t I decidedto build one, I tested a lot of ideas to get to what you see on the video. To be honest it works better than I hoped, itcan be very fast and with no sound it has a very natural feel to it. Animals react differently to me when I’m flying;they seem to view me as a large predator or maybe just can’t figure me out eitherway it’s not the same as when I am diving. We are steel learning how to fly it and you can see from the two videoswe are getting better at it. The lasttime when I got out of the water I was speechless the experience of flying aroundvery close to the wreck moving like I truly belonged there was beyondwords. Only 5 divers have flown the currentglider and the response has been the same every time upon reaching the surfaceafter they stop laughing its” wow that’s not what I expected from watching thevideo”! The next thing out of there mouthsis I WANT ONE! We are currently in productionand should have DiveGliders available this summer. As for getting a chance to fly one we will beoffing lots of ways for people to do that, it is something you just have to tryonce and you’ll know. To keep up-to-dateon where and when you could fly one go to Face Book Golden Rock Dive Center orstay tuned here on Scuba board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom