PADI Tec Sidemount Materials (oh no... not another 'bad pictures' issue!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Still waiting to receive my Tec Sidemount Instructor manual... but having seen this photo online, I can't help but bang my head against the wall for another huge 'faux-pax' by PADI in their selection of media images.

What gives? Why does PADI seem to insist upon using embarrassing and technical sloppy images within it's TecRec training materials?

PADI-Sidemount-Image.jpg

(apologies for not getting the photo posted in the original post, SB was glitchy for me yesterday)

Last edited:
I did PADI Sidemount Diver Course and PADI Tec 40 Course in the same trip. I did the Tec 40 course in Sidemount. Does the Tech Sidemount Course offer something not offered in Tec, 45, 50 and beyond in sidemount? Thanks in advance.

Still waiting to receive my Tec Sidemount Instructor manual... but having seen this photo online, I can't help but bang my head against the wall for another huge 'faux-pax' by PADI in their selection of media images.

What gives? Why does PADI seem to insist upon using embarrassing and technical sloppy images within it's TecRec training materials?

I can't see the photo you are talking about, is it the one where the side mount divers tanks have extremely horrible trim, and their gauges are hanging down a foot below them?

Me either. Those on PADI's website is not so great, but not terrible. I have seen worse from PADI. At least the divers themselves are not kneeling down.

I can't see the photo you are talking about, is it the one where the side mount divers tanks have extremely horrible trim, and their gauges are hanging down a foot below them?

awesome..

I'm wondering how non tech shops will do this.. are they going to also start selling nomads, stage gear, and offer something longer than a 29" hose. I'd love to see the padi side mount students pushing around steel with their split fins. I wonder if padi recommends an AI computer for each tank.. so you can get beeps in stereo for those safety stops :)

Could it be this one -

padi-americas-1.jpg

Apologies for not posting the picture yesterday - SB was glitchy and gave me error messages.... seems resolved now.

Yes...at least they're not kneeling...

This isn't meant as a criticism of the course (generally happy with that, thus far)... merely the selection/use of images for PADI materials at tech levels - which I see as under-mining the skill, experience and ethos of the instructor cadre who teach these programs...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
awesome..

... I'd love to see the padi side mount students pushing around steel with their split fins. I wonder if padi recommends an AI computer for each tank.. so you can get beeps in stereo for those safety stops :)

I don't think that non-tech shops will be offering the Tec Sidemount course... the teaching prerequisites demand significant tech experience. There is a 'basic' sidemount course, that is available to instructors without tech experience and aimed firmly at the recreational market.

My only comparison is with the ANDI Program... the PADI 'Basic' Sidemount falls short of the ANDI Level 2 Sidemount and the Tec Sidemount falls above it (not sure how it equates to the ANDI 'Advanced' Sidemount).

I'm still waiting for a copy of the instructor manual for Tec Sidemount - so I can't explain the fine details until I've received that.

Most of (the few) PADI instructors who can teach Tec Sidemount will have qualified by either; attendance on a tec sidemount instructor training course or direct application. My direct application required existing sidemount qualification from another agency (I have) and proof of 80 sidemount dives, with 30+ being multi-stage (3+ cylinder) deco dives (I have). I also submitted the 6000 word 'teaching notes/handouts' that I wrote for use with 'clinic' students, as part of the application. All instructors are, of course, also required to be qualified at 'Tec Deep Instructor' (AN/DP/ER equiv) level.

I only know a few other PADI instructors qualified to teach the tec sidemount course - and from those, I can pretty much say with certainty that there'll be no encouragement of split-fins or AI computers. LOL Whether quality management of instructor credentials will be retained as more instructors 'go sidemount' remains to be seen... but PADI don't seem to be pushing this with the 'hard sell' marketing currently devoted to the 'rec CCR' program just rolled out.

For the 'basic' sidemount; it's either a training course or 'proof of experience'... that means a diver-level qualification plus 20 dives experience or a straight 50 dives experience. So... more than 'most' specialties, but nothing earth-shattering.

Bear in mind that the 'basic' sidemount is just a tweaked version of the distinctive course written by Jeff Loughlin... so it has a good foundation.

I'm wondering how non tech shops will do this.. are they going to also start selling nomads, stage gear, and offer something longer than a 29" hose.

Here's the equipment requirements for 'basic' sidemount - the configuration is pretty standard, and long-hose is recommended...(bear in mind, this is also strictly 'open water' sidemount)...

BCD and harness configured for sidemount diving
• Two independent cylinders, each with a regulator with a single second stage, and SPG. At least one second stage must be on a longer hose for sharing gas approximately one metre/three feet in length, with 1.5-2 metres/5-7 feet recommended. At least one regulator (typically the left) must be equipped with a low pressure inflator hose to supply the BCD. It is recommended that cylinders are similar sizes and filled to similar pressures.
• Optional: For the Confined Water Dive and Sidemount Dive One only, a single cylinder with first stage regulator, primary second stage, alternate second stage, SPG and LPI, may be used. Students must master all water skills wearing two
cylinders in confined water prior to open water Sidemount Dive Two

(the 'confined water' dive 1 can also be used within the AOW program and/or as an 'adventure dive').

I did PADI Sidemount Diver Course and PADI Tec 40 Course in the same trip. I did the Tec 40 course in Sidemount. Does the Tech Sidemount Course offer something not offered in Tec, 45, 50 and beyond in sidemount? Thanks in advance.

My thinking at this time (having not yet received the outline) is that the Tec Sidemount is aimed at existing/qualified technical divers (a retrospective conversion), wheras the recreational/basic sidemount course is applicable from the outset and allows conduct of the tec program in sidemount.

The potential problem being (as asked by my sidemount/tec40/tec45 student last week) is that conducting the basic SM and then, tec40/45/50 doesn't then reflect in recognition of that training on the 'c-card'. There could be a 'grey area' where a diver cannot 'prove' that they received their technical training in sidemount configuration (other than log book).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom