Cave Instructor Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering taking Apprentice and Full Cave with Jeff Bauer (bigbenddiving.com). Has anyone taken a course with him? I'd really appreciate any feedback (either on the thread or by PM).

Any other recommendations would also be great!

Thanks!!

Jeff is an excellent instructor. You will not be disappointed.

Hello,

I'm considering taking Apprentice and Full Cave with Jeff Bauer (bigbenddiving.com). Has anyone taken a course with him? I'd really appreciate any feedback (either on the thread or by PM).

Any other recommendations would also be great!

Thanks!!
I took apprentice to cave with Jeff and would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

I don't know him at all, but I trust Jim and UCF's recommendation completely.

PM sent to ucfdiver. Thanks also to Capt Wyatt for the thoughts!

PM replied.

In that PM I was asked about another instructor. I'll leave names off the forums, but for anyone else looking for a cave instructor, flight instructor, or any other type of instruction where you prepay and might not get the training within a day or two, I would do a public records search for any ongoing criminal cases before placing a cash deposit so you can at least ask how this might have an impact on getting services delivered (court dates, settlement date, etc)

ucfdiver's last post sounds ominous.

In this thread, the OP asked about a specific instructor and received a specific response. I do not know that instructor at all, so I cannot comment on those qualifications, but I can talk about selecting such an instructor from the start, when one has no ideas at all.

I personally started by going to several different forums that have sections (or the entire forum) on cave diving. I used the search feature to find the many threads in which people had asked the same question. I therefore got a lot of names and recommendations. I read the recommendations carefully. In doing so, I eliminated from consideration several instructors based on the reasons their supporters provided for recommending them. I decided they would not fit well with me. For me personally, I know I tend to beat myself up badly when I make mistakes. I know it is not good for me to do that because it interferes with my ability to perform in the future, but knowing that I have that tendency led me to eliminate everyone who was praised for their ability to curse at you, humiliate you, (etc.) every time you screw up. Some people like that; I don't.

Once I had things narrowed down to a couple of people, I started asking specifics. I had to consider location, timing, and other factors. I finally made the choice, and it was a good one I would gladly repeat for future training.

Jeff was high on my list when I was looking for a cave instructor. I eventually went with Dan Patterson. Dan's teaching style really went well with my learning style (very hands-on and less lecture) and learned quite a bit. Definitely make sure you take the time and talk to as many instructors as you can. That is probably what I would have done differently.

PM replied.

In that PM I was asked about another instructor. I'll leave names off the forums, but for anyone else looking for a cave instructor, flight instructor, or any other type of instruction where you prepay and might not get the training within a day or two, I would do a public records search for any ongoing criminal cases before placing a cash deposit so you can at least ask how this might have an impact on getting services delivered (court dates, settlement date, etc)

James,
An instructor in college that has a PhD will spend on average 1.5 hours per class with two classes per week over 15 weeks which is 45 hours of influence. A grade school teacher has the same amount of weeks with 5 hours of influence which is 75 hours. This is one semester so I feel it is comparative to a cave class which is 10 hours per day over 7 days if doing zero to hero and 70 hours of instruction. Let us also consider that the vast majority taking cave classes are adults well formed and making their own decisions regarding their lives.

Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom