Backpad removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chironomidkraut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am just wondering how many of u guys out there dive a bp/w without a back pad cover?
I have a drysuit and I am worried bout the wing nuts snagging my suit if I take my halcyon mc pad off

There are holes and cut-outs all over H's plates, which do not have sharp edges. This can be said about virtually any major manufacturerer...

Last edited:
I dive an 'un-padded' BP&W with a rash guard. No issues from that in the last 8 years/2500 dives.

I bought a package with the pad included, but removed it after a while because it took forever to dry and didn't seem to add anything except the need to add a lb or 2 of lead.

Ya the halcyon pad, isn't actually a pad it's more of a cover than anything, I am just wondering if the bulk of the drysuit and underwear will snag/tear on the wingnuts

Ya the halcyon pad, isn't actually a pad it's more of a cover than anything, I am just wondering if the bulk of the drysuit and underwear will snag/tear on the wingnuts

The wing-nuts are set within the plate center channel, which keeps them away from exposure protection or bare skin. If still worried, buy DSS's delrin thumbwheels....

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=backplate_acc

Last edited:
If that big of concenr get some Plasti Dip and spray the wings. Will keep them from snagging. But should be no problem either way.

I have the pad from UTD but only use it in the pool as its nice with a 3mm suit for 2hr dives but I remove it (has a Velcro strip on the backplate) in o/w with the drysuit, no worries at all.

I dive a plate without a pad. While there was little to no interference between the wing nuts and my wetsuit to start with, I ground down the STA bolts and ends of the wing nuts for a little "insurance" and now there's plenty of clearance. I also get the impression my hollis AL plate is "shallower" than other plates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom