Problem venting air from Ride BC......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNurse758

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hopefully I'm just having a dumb moment and somebody can help me out, but here goes.....
I just returned from my first trip with my Hollis Ride BC and I love the configuration and compact size, but I do have one issue that is very aggravating. From the horizontal position where I spend most of my dives, I had trouble venting air from the bladder when ascending. On more than one occasion I had to turn completely vertical in the water to get the air to exit from the inflator/deflator hose. I had just as much trouble venting from the butt dump. Is it possible that the "bungees of death" are trapping the air in the middle of the bladder while I'm horizontal and not allowing it to vent? Is this something only I am having trouble with? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jordan.

Hey Nick, sorry I missed your post! Work has been insane and i haven't been on the internet much the past few months. I had a similar problem with air trapping in the wing while in St. Thomas in November. To answer your questions, I have not adjusted the bungees in any way from the factory configuration, and its a 37 lb. wing. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to check back soon and not forget!!Jordan.

Hi ScubaNurse - dunno' if you've received a reply from Hollis - I've using an HTS-2 for the last 50-something dives and have found inverting and using the dump valve to be the most effective method for releasing air from the bladder - additionally I've found that when the wing has had time to dry it traps a significant amount of air between the inner bladder and the outer wing material - it will eventually disperse given enough time and depth but not before affecting buoyancy to the tune of 4-6 lbs.

Without knowing anything about the Ride but it's possible there are design similarities that could create similar or stronger examples of the problem.
Good luck.

Hi ScubaNurse - dunno' if you've received a reply from Hollis - I've using an HTS-2 for the last 50-something dives and have found inverting and using the dump valve to be the most effective method for releasing air from the bladder - additionally I've found that when the wing has had time to dry it traps a significant amount of air between the inner bladder and the outer wing material - it will eventually disperse given enough time and depth but not before affecting buoyancy to the tune of 4-6 lbs.

Without knowing anything about the Ride but it's possible there are design similarities that could create similar or stronger examples of the problem.
Good luck.
Yardarm, there is no inner bladder on the RIDE,
The problem here seems to be with the bungees, adjusting them only takes a couple of minutes and can be done on the surface relatively quickly. the idea is to evenly distribute the slack in the bungee so that when the wing is fully inflated the air is being evenly compressed in the wing, This is even more important with the larger of the two RIDE wing sizes as you have more wing material to hold tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom