General best time to dive the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just curious, when is generally he best time to dive the Great Lakes? Basically want the temps to be comfortable so that you don't freeze on the surface after a cold water dive, but not so hot that you risk heat stroke while getting geared up, either. When is the weather the calmest, the waters the warmest (I realize that's said in context) & the waters the clearest? I'm thinking of diving the great lakes sometime in the future. I do have a drysuit & am accustomed to diving in 40 degree water. I am also Adv. Nitrox/ Deco procedures trained & also Full Cave (though, yes I realize there aren't any, if many ave in the Great Lakes). I do have some limited wreck penetration training.

I've dove Lake Michigan for many years and lived on it most of my life. Typically July will give the calmest conditions. That being said, every year is a little different. August can be great, or you can be blown off for most of the month. In the end Lake Michigan does what she wants.

For surface conditions, April, May, September, & October will give you the "not hot" surface conditions. However, those months are also very finicky in terms of lake conditions. We get blown out many times in those months. For water clarity, the colder the better. We've done dives in Lake Michigan in January and have seen the boat from 100 feet down. It really depends on the movement of the water. If you ever want to come up and dive Lake Michigan, let me know. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out on the big lake.

In early August you just gear up fast and the thermos feel refreshing. It n mi, it's not like Florida or the east coast... Also you're offshore so it's always at least 10 deg cooler.

You could always get up to the St. Lawrence River in Ontario Canada between Kingston and Brockville in late July and August. It's around 72 F top to botton (no thermocline in the river) just like your caves! Awesome wreck diving!!

I find June-Sept to be the best bet. If you need a buddy, PM me! Coming up from KY, the best options would be Lake Michigan out of Chicago or Waukegan or Lake Huron out of Port Sanilac MI. Tobermory ON Canada on the Bruce Peninsula, which forms Georgian Bay off of Lake Huron, is another great option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom