ssi deep class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaspider

Reaction score
I was curious, what does the checkout test consist of when taking a deep diving class. I was prepared for a written test and he told me taht the only test is the actual dive.

Any heads up would be great

:spider:

and dive the plan.

Also, I believe they hang some kind of "emergency tank" on the ascent line, and you have to switch to it (wow, man, that means you have to take your reg out of your mouth!) at the 15' stop :)

Seriously, its pretty much a joke. The big deal is to watch your gas consumption and dive time, as those are the "real deals"....

My SSI deep class was a joke.

Our boat captain didn't show up, so we went to the deepest shore dive in the area to get ourselves down below 60 fsw. We swam out as far as we could (dropping a few students along the way for various reasons) and ended up kneeling in the sand at 73 fsw. The upline we were going to use for an emergency tank got left behind, so all we did at the bottom was attempt to unlock a combination lock (which none of us could do on the surface later, incidentally). We stayed down there until someone reached 1500psi and then began swimming back where we were instructed to do a safety stop for 5 minutes at 15 feet.

we actually dug in the sand a bit to get the gauge to click over to triple digits :)

I'd have to go back and see if it actually did - I do remember trying to make it do so :)

(Narcosis? What's that. You want narcosis, I'll show 'ya a nice "dark narc" at around 130-140 - doing a nice "dive bomb" decent into gloomy, cold water is a fairly good way to provoke it if you're really interested in the experience. BTW, I do not recommend that practice - its kinda dangerous if you're not prepared for it....)

we did a dive to 110 ffw in a large quarry, temp around 55-60, cant remember.

Our instructor killed the idea of opening locks as it is not a real world application. Instead, he had us (me, my buddy and a diver we never met before) check each others depth, PSI remaining and time every 4 minutes during the dive and record this on a slate.

As easy as it seemed, I had a helluva time getting any information from the third diver after we passed 80' until we were back around 50' on the ascent.

I know it sounds easy, but it was a challenge staying on task the first time that deep. Maybe I will take a lock with me next time and see what that is like.

Back
Top Bottom