Spear Fishing San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm moving out to San Diego, and I've always wanted to learn how to spear fish. Does anyone know of any sites/groups that enjoy hunting under water in the SoCal area? Also does anyone know of anywhere I can take lessons? Finally I'm about to buy a full set of dive gear, are there any particular equiptment considerations for this hobby?

If the number of dives you're suggesting (25-49) I'd say you should start out free diving with a sling and see how you like it. Combining hunting this early in your diving career (especially if you're going to be getting used to new gear at the same time) can be distracting and task loading. It's better to get a good amount of experience in both spear hunting and scuba diving separately before you attempt to combine the two.

You will find that most spear fishermen will not use scuba equipment. It is not considered very sportsman-like.

Back
Top Bottom