Nitek Q OLED screen visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Nitek Q and have a hard to impossible time seeing/reading the screen outdoors.

I realize that OLEDs (smartphones, cameras, etc.) are next to impossible to see in bright daylight but the I have a hard time seeing the Q screen even in the shade. Indoors the screen looks good and bright but outside it just washes out. I have put on an anti-reflective (AR) shield - NuShield DayVue, but it is not much better.

I am sure in the cave it will be fine, but in a pool at 10 ft (bright Florida day), in the shade along a shaded wall, screen bightness set at 10 (max), I need to have the screen inches from my face to read it. At arms length, the screen is completely washed out. I thought that maybe my aging eyes could be a problem, but my 18 year old son has the same visibilty issues with the Q as I do.

Does anyone else with the Nitek Q have these issues and are all the OLEDS this bad or are some better/worse than others?

I would hate to have to do a deco stop at 10' in bright OW and not be able to read the computer.

I don't have any problems with mine. I find it very readable even outside out of the water.

Thanks for the response James. I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with my display. I will be at the NSS-CDS workshop this weekend and Dive Rite will be there also so we can address this in person.

Anyone else have any comments on the the Nitek Q or any other OLED dive computer with respect to readability outdoors?

Mine is a bit difficult to read in direct sunlight, but not that bad overall. I have it turned down pretty low because it looks like a jack-o-lantern in the cave. I will say that on a very sunny day it can be faint in the shallows, but it's not been a problem really. :idk:

I agree that the Q is a little hard to read in sunlight above water, but while diving I haven't had any problems. And it's a star on night dives -- much envy from other divers :cool2:

OK, so now I have to chime back in. This past weekend was very sunny. Not a cloud in the sky. I did have some trouble making out stuff above water at times. Vis was also better then it has been in months. So the first 5 feet were difficult at times. I checked my brightness though and I had it set pretty low. I am sure if I upped it, I would have been ok. It was not to the point that I could never read it, but it was washed out at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom