New Diver on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFC_Swede

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know there are threads on the forum...but to be honest I dont understand most of them. I am very new (just got my Open Water Cert), and all the different BCD's, Computers, Regulators, ect make my head spin. I caught the dive bug and plan on sticking to the sport. I will stick with the subject of this thread and ask what is a good, but fairly inexpensive dive computer for a new diver?

My dive shop is a Mares preferred shop, and most of the divers are very experienced. They have expensive toys and give me advice that while I respect, scare the crap out of me. I was told to bite the bullet and spend the $1500 for a Mares Icon...or a Wisdom 3 (less expensive but still a $700+ piece).

Features I am looking for are: Air Integrated Console, Nitrox compatible, Temp, Time, ect...downloadable to Diving Log 5.0, and this is going to sound bad, but with BIG displays (I am over 40 and going blind LOL). Not adverse to spending money for a quality product, but my wife is also diving with me...so I need to get two 7mm wetsuits, two BCD's, and two reg set ups eventually. I am more into the sport as I already started my Adventure Dives and Advanced Certification, and plan on going for Rescue Diver before the end of the summer if I can get the 20 dives needed by then. My wife on the other hand will most likely stop at OWD. All that said...I still need to budget.

Any response would be appreciated.

Cheers

My dive shop is a Mares preferred shop, and most of the divers are very experienced. They have expensive toys and give me advice that while I respect, scare the crap out of me. I was told to bite the bullet and spend the $1500 for a Mares Icon...or a Wisdom 3 (less expensive but still a $700+ piece).

Run away from this shop! The last thing you need at this stage is a $1500 computer.

Features I am looking for are: Air Integrated Console, Nitrox compatible, Temp, Time, ect...downloadable to Diving Log 5.0, and this is going to sound bad, but with BIG displays (I am over 40 and going blind LOL). Not adverse to spending money for a quality product, but my wife is also diving with me...so I need to get two 7mm wetsuits, two BCD's, and two reg set ups eventually. I am more into the sport as I already started my Adventure Dives and Advanced Certification, and plan on going for Rescue Diver before the end of the summer if I can get the 20 dives needed by then. My wife on the other hand will most likely stop at OWD. All that said...I still need to budget.

Any response would be appreciated.

Cheers

There is really no need for air-integrated computers. Really. I have dived with them (Suunto Cobra) and without. It really doesn't give you anything more than a $500 increase in price and another potential failure point somewhere down the road.

There is a good thread about what to rent vs buy done recently. Also another about which order to buy things in. They are not hard and fast rules but something to chew over and potentially learn from and save some money.

It sounds like the shop is setting you up for buying way above what you really need. I have seen the Icon in my old shop- really nice, big display, you can upload dive maps into it etc. However unless you have an extra thousand, it's really not worth the money IMO. Suunto Gecko or ZOOP for approx $250 new is more than enough.

Needing a 7mm means your probably up north somewhere... If you were in NC, I would say come on over and have a chat!

I know what you mean about buying 2x everything e.g. gear, trips, training, air fills, insurance, and gear to replace the gear you got because you bought in hast...!!! I could go so many other places if only my wife did not dive as well but then again, with her diving its a bit easier for me to say "hey, lets go for a dive" than "hey honey, me and the boys are heading out..."

Do your research and try and find what you like to dive with... I bought several items from the shop we took our OW with but I was not a big fan of the Ranger BC they wanted me to buy so I looked around and found shops that rented different BC, regs, and such. We rented a couple of transpaks following our OW down in Gennie Springs FL. I had already been reading everything I could and tried to understand all of the different product models out there from BC's, bp/w, computers, mask, and everything else that goes along with it... After we rented the Transpaks, I knew I was going bp/w and my wife wanted the transpak for herself.

My LDS did not offer these items so I let them know my feeling about what I was going to do... I let them know my intentions regarding the gear and found another Dive shop in the area that did carry the Transpak. Since my LDS could not get the items and at the cost of the other shop I let them know "I will be spending plenty of money with you so please do not give me any grief if I get an item from another store if you can not provide it!" It was either that or they would lose my business completely!

My suggestion is to read, rent, and chose what it is you and your wife are going to be comfortable with... You do not need to do it all at once!!! Take your time because its expensive enough doing it once for yourself; twice with the wife can get up there...! Its not a matter if you can afford it or not; its about getting whats right for you and your wife...!!!

Best to you, lee

Supergaijin and Isorenson...appreciate the responses. I know I am jumping the gun, and your advice is sound. To answer you, I am in Pennsylvania and the dive water in Dutch Springs was a balmy 52 degrees during the OW cert (and that was at 30 ft). It was funny because all the Instructors and experienced divers were in Drysuits. Only us noobs were in wetsuits. That said, my shop said if I am going to dive locally, I should get a 7mm. The Henderson I rented fit well, and was more or less warm. So I get what you are saying Isorenson. I have already tried on numerous fins before I finally decided...and am doing the same with BCD's. I do like the Mares BCD's best so far. Back to the point, I guess I am lazy, inexperienced, or both. I was looking for a computer so I didnt have to try and remember every detail for my logbook. The rental gauge set only had analog air, depth, and compass on it, and found myself constantly asking buddies or instructors what temp, time, and other data I needed to capture.

Its that...and I am that kind of guy that figures at $80 a rental...in 10 trips I could have bought my own stuff anyway. Theres just a myriad of manufacturers and products out there. One person says Sherwood...the next Mares... ect. I am just trying to avoid buyers remorse or gear that doesnt live up to its marketing.

And I hear you on the wife ROFL.

And Isorenson....theres a trip down in your area to dive a wreck in July. hoping to get my Nitrox cert and attend that trip.

Last edited:
I ran out and bought all my gear just after getting certified. What sold through ebay has now gone, what didn't is collecting dust. Take your time, rent gear, or buy second hand stuff. What you want after 100 dives will be totally different to what you buy now.

BTW - I have 2x Mares Icons. Biggest waste of money ever. Bright yes, easy to read, yes. More useful than a $200 computer? not really.

$1500 for a recreational computer is a joke... seriously. If that's the "best advice" from your LDS.... run screaming.

To be fair sir....that was some of the "senior" divers that were onsite who told me if I was going to buy something to put the money upfront on a decent product. My LDS has been really cool with me, and even allowed me to test ride at least 6 fins before I picked one...and has let me use 3 BCD's during my OW cert.

Just be aware that a lot of times, the DM's and Instructors are required to use whatever brand the shop sells, and to promote it to their students. Not always, but very common.

There is also.the fact that some of these "senior more experienced" divers have been brainwashed by the shop into thinking this way or got theirs at key man pricing which could be as much as half the price you will pay depending on the mfg's policies. And why would your wife need the same.computer as you if she does not plan to progress beyond basic open water? She does not. Nor does she need the same model or mfg of bc. What does she want out of a bc or computer? May not be the same as what you do.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom