not so ugly conditions @ elbow reef today 5/25/12, pics [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : not so ugly conditions @ elbow reef today 5/25/12, pics

Sponsored Link

reefman
May 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM
luckly we headed north this AM to double south carysfort deep. intially dissapointed as the viz @ our carysfort site was nil(zero!). we observed blue water and dive boats south towards the elbow(slates creature feature on friday AM) and cruised south. abundant sunshine, light winds and 1FT seas. double on E1(only deep buoy @ the elbow), light to zero current, blue water, viz 70+ above 20FT and reducing midway thru the 1st dive to 35-50FT @ the pin(50FT deep). odd thermocline and water mixing @ depth, water temp 78F on the surface decreasing to 73-74F @ 50-91FT, it was cold on the dropoff!! as stated in an earlier thread, viz was dreadfull from molasses north until reaching the elbow. OD and rainbow reef were @ the elbow today seeking blue water! a pod of 7 bottlenose dolphins as we were leaving(hung around for about 15 min). photos courtesy of timg,

reefman
key largo

Rescue Diver68
May 26th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Nice! A bonus Dolphin too!

deeper thoughts
May 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Thats a pretty decent run for OD. Nice of them to hunt the blue water

reefman
May 26th, 2012, 09:46 AM

couldn't agree more. same effort from rainbow reef as well,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

deeper thoughts
May 26th, 2012, 09:55 AM
couldn't agree more. same effort from rainbow reef as well,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I guess you are not going out today

reefman
May 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I guess you are not going out today

considered going but waiting for improved viz(and it will be ZOO on the water today). the elbow will be jammed if the viz still sucks everywhere else. marine forecast looks decent thru wed, maybe tomorrow depending on reports from dive opertors later today,

reefman
key largo

timg
May 26th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Nice! A bonus Dolphin too!

Thanks RD68.

Here is another dolphin shot - three of them moving by the boat.

deeper thoughts
May 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM
considered going but waiting for improved viz(and it will be ZOO on the water today). the elbow will be jammed if the viz still sucks everywhere else. marine forecast looks decent thru wed, maybe tomorrow depending on reports from dive opertors later today,

reefman
key largo

RM please post if you get some viz reports, we should be heading out sunday:goingdown:

reefman
May 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM
just got a call from a snorkel boat captain @ grecian rocks and they have about 20FT viz. he heard viz was improved today @ molasses from their glassbottom boat. i'll hopefully post some viz reports early tomorrow AM,,,,,

reefman
key largo

conchrandy
May 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM
just got a call from a snorkel boat captain @ grecian rocks and they have about 20FT viz. he heard viz was improved today @ molasses from their glassbottom boat. i'll hopefully post some viz reports early tomorrow AM,,,,,

reefman
key largo

80 ft Spiegel today. Kudo's to OD for finding the elusive blue water this weekend. Hmm- so do we get another 10' tomorrow on Molasses?

deeper thoughts
May 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM
80 ft Spiegel today. Kudo's to OD for finding the elusive blue water this weekend. Hmm- so do we get another 10' tomorrow on Molasses?

Any reports on MO? 40-60 feet in Islamorada I heard

conchrandy
May 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM
a whopping 20 ft on Molasses today. Don't want to even think about KL Dry Rocks. Only real vis was Elbow and Spiegel. Feel bad for all the KL tourists, hope they don't get the wrong impression.

deeper thoughts
May 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM
a whopping 20 ft on Molasses today. Don't want to even think about KL Dry Rocks. Only real vis was Elbow and Spiegel. Feel bad for all the KL tourists, hope they don't get the wrong impression.

still 20 feet yuck

reefman
May 27th, 2012, 07:30 AM
i heard; 60FT viz spiegle, 40FT eagle and an islamorada offshore reef and 20- 60FT @ winch hole and fire coral caves@ molasses yesterday. zero wind this AM.
staying @ the dock today, way to crowded on the water for that variable viz,,,

reefman
key largo

deeper thoughts
May 27th, 2012, 10:14 AM
We should be heading out. I will post when I get back

SnorkelLA
May 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Where I come from 20ft is spectacular! :) hope it isn't like this when I'm down there in July

fisheyeview
May 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
luckly we headed north this AM to double south carysfort deep. intially dissapointed as the viz @ our carysfort site was nil(zero!). we observed blue water and dive boats south towards the elbow(slates creature feature on friday AM) and cruised south. abundant sunshine, light winds and 1FT seas. double on E1(only deep buoy @ the elbow), light to zero current, blue water, viz 70+ above 20FT and reducing midway thru the 1st dive to 35-50FT @ the pin(50FT deep). odd thermocline and water mixing @ depth, water temp 78F on the surface decreasing to 73-74F @ 50-91FT, it was cold on the dropoff!! as stated in an earlier thread, viz was dreadfull from molasses north until reaching the elbow. OD and rainbow reef were @ the elbow today seeking blue water! a pod of 7 bottlenose dolphins as we were leaving(hung around for about 15 min). photos courtesy of timg,

reefman
key largo

Nice pictures Tim. 3 differenf Hamlet species. Love seeing this.

Above and beyond. Great job OD.

timg
May 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=fisheyeview;6358822]Nice pictures Tim. 3 differenf Hamlet species. Love seeing this.

Thanks FE. Also see Black Hamlets in this area quite often, and saw a shy hamlet the other day.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1