Transporting gear to Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
24 gal.jpgStanley 50 gallon.jpg
Been using a standard suitcase, duffle bag, and tank dolly for moving gear to Catalina.
Quite the hassle moving from car to dock to boat, so would like to reduce it to one container.
Stanley makes a 50 gallon and a 24 gallon mobile cart. Not sure which size would be best.
Would Catalina Express let these go aboard? I know they want only 50 lbs, but these sure would be nice.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Blue Steel. thats what most of us use here in SoCal & not a problem transporting on the ferry! I just put a strip of aluminum 90degree at the base of the lid & have some shockcord rigged through the lid on the other end, for tank storage. Tanks sit nicely in the channels of the lid, My other half found them the cheapest off of walmarts website, deliver to the store. ill keep u posted...

Well walmart pulled there head out, when we purchased them just last xmas they were less than $40 & now $70.
Lowes in our area stocked them for around $50 & home depot didnt have anything. Multiple companies make the same box..

I usually travel solo and the I'm thinking the 24 gallon cart will give me plenty of room.
I took some measurements and the 24 gallon 18"W x 29"L x 19"H, compared to my suitcase at 18"W x 28"L x 12"H.
This would give a full 7"H more and could do away with the duffle bag.
Not sure how to attach the tank yet. Some type of webbing/velcro.

I just went into the garage & checked, we have the #24's & that more than enough room. Ill post a pic of my bracket but have not weave the shockcord through the top of the lid yet to show you what others in my group have done & works out nicely...
I looked into getting some eyelets but they are costly & really not needed, everyone in my group just weaved some shockcord through the lid & works fine, they are going to jump out...
Poor pic, but you get the point
box.jpg

I have the larger box but just cut some slots in the top and used cam bands:

box straps 2.jpgbox straps.jpg

I have a tank cart that I modified to strap on a luggage bag. I got the cart off Craigslist: Tortuga Scuba. I have since seen a couple of these carts on Catalina and saw a double tank carrier on eBay. I purchased a rolling duffel from Costco. I can fit all my gear into this bag. So $40 for the bag and $25 for the cart it's a wash. The nice thing about the boxes is you can put a lock on them. At least it would slow thieves down. There was a recent post from a diver who lost his wetsuit at the dive park.

As for the 50 pound rule, I have yet to be stopped and asked to break things down, but I have heard from other divers they did. It seems so long as everything is together i.e. tank and gear bag, they let you on. Depending on the boat it's stowed on the bow or stern not within the vessel.

The smaller box was tempting, but it looks like Stanley changed the design for the lid. I can just see the handle breaking and the little side compartments torn off. I like the lid on the larger box, but that thing is huge.
033023R_web_detail.jpg

I have the 24 and its works overall for most of my gear. I will be picking up a 50 though once my daughter get certed.

Back
Top Bottom