PDA

View Full Version : ScubaPro or Genesis

Sly New Girl
May 26th, 2012, 11:30 PM
He has a ScubraPro MK20/G250 with a console or a Genesis GR450/GS2000 with a console.
Both of them have psi/computer/compass.
The Genesis is brand new and the Scubapro is the one he was using for an extra. Until I started using it.
So, I can have whichever one I want but I don't know if new is necessarily better.

Which one would you use if you were just starting out?

mahjong
May 27th, 2012, 12:11 AM
If you even need to ask this question, well, then, it doesn't matter which one you pick. Flip a coin!

Sly New Girl
May 27th, 2012, 12:21 AM
If you even need to ask this question, well, then, it doesn't matter which one you pick. Flip a coin!

Booo! Yes, I need to ask. I don't ask people a lot of things I want to know and I tried to look up all of the information on the web but it's HUGE. I though maybe someone would have an opinion I could use. Besides, I honestly don't think flipping coins is going to help me keep from making mistakes. I'd rather have better than 50/50 odds ...

weitodive
May 27th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I have never used a genesis. I do have quite a few scuba pro regulators. I love my scuba pro regs. The 250 is a little wider than my 600's. But to be quite honest, it is all personal preference. Not sure what kind of diving you are doing but for warm water diving, I would think either would work just fine.

Sly New Girl
May 27th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I have never used a genesis. I do have quite a few scuba pro regulators. I love my scuba pro regs. The 250 is a little wider than my 600's. But to be quite honest, it is all personal preference. Not sure what kind of diving you are doing but for warm water diving, I would think either would work just fine.

No. This morning it was 47deg with the Genesis octo. I've been using the scubapro before today. It's a little bit hard for me to tell whats operator error or difficult equipment right now. There's so much to learn. But I do know both sets are super easy to use.

Zung
May 27th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Scubapro.
The MK20/G250 is one of the very best.

Isaac-1
May 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I guess more to the point the G250 has been one of the best regulators on the market since it was introduced in 1988, that alone should go to say something, however the Mk 20 while a fine regulator in its own right (if you don't get one with the stupid original style blunt piston) , is a piston style regulator and perhaps more prone to freeze up in cold water than some other choices.

awap
May 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with the Scubapro rig. I would take a real hard look at the availability for support for the Genesis rig.

divin'dog
May 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with the Scubapro rig. I would take a real hard look at the availability for support for the Genesis rig.

+1 for awap's comments... Support (local and abroad) for what you buy should be in the mix for a decision.

neutrino
May 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I'm an huge fan of Scubapro. Great engineering and quality. Unsure of the Genesis so cannot compare.

Cheers
Rich

halocline
May 27th, 2012, 08:05 PM
He has a ScubraPro MK20/G250 with a console or a Genesis GR450/GS2000 with a console.
Both of them have psi/computer/compass.
The Genesis is brand new and the Scubapro is the one he was using for an extra. Until I started using it.
So, I can have whichever one I want but I don't know if new is necessarily better.

Which one would you use if you were just starting out?

No brainer, the SP. Not even close. Avoid the genesis reg, it has this bizarre depth compensating valve-driven dry ambient chamber added on to a sherwood-style flow-by piston. The result is that it lacks the reliable simplicity of the sherwood design while also sacrificing the air flow performance of a flow through piston like the MK20. The G250 2nd stage, assuming it's not G250HP, is one the most successful and copied 2nd stage designs in history. A real classic.

diveprof
May 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Easy choice - the scuba pro. Prior to the Genesis/Sherwood split, I would have had to give this more thought. My circa later 1980's Sherwood Oasis + rocks - still rocks today. However, my newest regs (MK20/G500 and MK25/250V) are great too! In my opinion, Genesis did not get the best reg end of the Genesis/Sherwood split. Actually, both suffered in my opinion.

eelnoraa
May 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM
pick one that you can service locally. For beginner (equipment wise, not diving wise), I can't stress that enough, until you have more knowledge about the gears.

diveprof
May 27th, 2012, 08:52 PM
pick one that you can service locally. For beginner (equipment wise, not diving wise), I can't stress that enough, until you have more knowledge about the gears.

This used to my my mantra as well. And for me as I am fortunate enough to have a great scuba technician locally at our dive shop, this is my practice. However, the diving retail and service environment is changing. There are now folks (internet based) that are not local that can service your gear and have it back to you in short order. Dive Right in Scuba, Scuba Toys, Diver's Supply are just a few.

Bratface
May 27th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I love my Scubapro equipment. My reg is 9 years old and very reliable. It's a different model than yours I trust all Scubapro gear. I have never had a problem. I get it serviced every year to keep it in good working order.

cbrich
May 27th, 2012, 11:12 PM
The Genesis GS2000 was my very first reg, only had it for about a year, before selling it off to get Mares V16 Proton. Just like everyone has said, I would get the Scubapro over the Genesis any day of the week. Is Genesis still in business??

Dan1219
May 27th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Genesis is associated with Sherwood. Go with the Scubapro- really not a contest.

Sly New Girl
May 28th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Well thank you all very much! I'll use the ScubaPro setup from here on out. I like it better because it's not yellow for one thing! I only like black, blue and white. And the "S". I know, that's not good reasoning but they're the only facts I was certain of. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Standard%20Smiles/04.gif

Zung
May 28th, 2012, 08:49 AM
... I only like black, blue and white...

Good choice! :)

chrpai
May 28th, 2012, 09:08 AM
If I'm reading this right, her DM friend is offering her a choice of regulators to use and that she isn't buying yet. If so, I'd argue that it doesn't really matter.

I've dove cheap sherwood unbalanced piston regs dozens of times in Jamaica and they are just fine. The DM's down there love them because it's easy to keep them serviced in good condition.

Sly New Girl
May 28th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah. I should have explained myself better. I can keep the scubapro on the condition I take care of it and just learn how it functions. He gave me the repair manual JUST for learning purposes. I'd die of anxiety using anything I 'fixed' that falls under the heading of life support. Which is why I can't work up the guts to buy a used set from anyone I haven't seen diving with it. I'm not that much more trusting of new stuff either. It's not like its a car where I can just sit and steam on the side of the road if something goes wrong.
The genesis has support. We registered it and the dive shop supports everything they sell new. I'm still keeping the scubapro. I guess maybe later I'll think about adding something specifically for cold water so I don't have to borrow gear for the high lakes.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1