Suunto Vytec DS or Vyper Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spc751

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to replace my Sherwood Wisdom computer with awrist mount computer and am looking at the Suunto Vytec DS or Vyper Air. TheVytec DS is discontinued but my LDS still has one in stock and it is about $150less than the Vyper. The only advantage I see is that the Vyper has an electroniccompass build in. Any suggestion on which way to go?

I have owned a Vytec DS for several years and really like it.
I don't like an electronic compass, it's too right-brain for me, I like to see the needle and cardinal directions. I also like the ordinary computer sceen info and want a separate dial to provide me with compass info. Try it out and see how you feel about these issues, and if you like the electronic compass, then consider whether it's worth $150. Given than an quality compass is fairly expensive, 150 is a seems fair price for the added compass funtion.
BUT
Although I like my Vytec DS more than any other computer I own, it's being more expensive than a Vyper is based on the fact that it supports multiple breathing gases, all of which are expected to be nitrox (no helium/no trimix). That's an obviously outdated expectation and indeed Suunto stopped making the Vytec DS quite a while ago. MY POINT BEING: while the Vytec DS is nice computer, the price should also show a sizeable discount due to the fact that it's an outdated and discontinued model. I think $150 is significantly less than what the price difference should be.

I have a Vyper Air and it is a fine computer. I would pay the $150 difference simply because it is still being manufactured.

I wanted the Vytec DS a few years ago because it had 3 gas switching where the Vyper only has two, if that makes a difference to you. Not sure the $150 discount is worth it. $250 maybe, I would consdier it.
Not a big fan of the e-compass, I'm old school and like to see the entire compass.

Last edited:
I do not care too much about the electronic compass I am just wondering if the Vyper is a better computer. I am will to pay a little more if the Vyper is better.

The Vyper is essentially the same computer only now it has a couple of bells and whistles that the outdated Vytec does not have. Suunto basically quit making the Vytec because there were not enoughtdifferences with the Vyper to matter. I agree that the price difference should really be more than $150.00

Clarification: The Vyper and Vyper Air are different computers, both current models.
The Vytec DS is a discontinued model but it was about 150% the price of a Vyper, and it has features like air integration and multiple gas mixes that the Vyper does not offer.
The Vyper Air on the other hand is newer than either of the other two. It basically has the bells & whistles of the Vytec DS, plus the compass.

BTW Air integration requires a transmitter, ($$$) but it is kinda fun.
I happened to get an air pressure transmitter for free when I bought a used set of regs, so this feature is another reason I like the Vytec DS. I rely on my old fashioned air pressure gauge, but also being able to read the pressure from my wrist at all times is really nice.
Air integration also means that the Vytec DS can tell me what my SAC was at any time during a dive (after the dive is downloaded to a PC that is). Completely unnecessary but obviously fun & interesting.

*** REPLY re: recording of air pressure data ***
The User Manual is not completely clear about this, but because I see many different SAC rates for many different times during a single dive, I presume the computer does store air presssure data with each data sample. I will take a closer look and see if there could be something else going on. I can also compare the SAC rate graphs between the VytecDS and my HelO2; I've never done that but there have been dives when I was wearing both.

Last edited:
BTW Air integration requires a transmitter, ($$$) but it is kinda fun.
I happened to get an air pressure transmitter for free when I bought a used set of regs, so this feature is another reason I like the Vytec DS. I rely on my old fashioned air pressure gauge, but also being able to read the pressure from my wrist at all times is really nice.
Air integration also means that the Vytec DS can tell me what my SAC was at any time during a dive (after the dive is downloaded to a PC that is). Completely unnecessary but obviously fun & interesting.

As I understand it, the Vytec and Vytec DS do not record the pressure data with every sample taken so the graph displayed on the software is not your actual consumption during the dive rather, it's extrapolated from the beginning and ending pressure numbers during the dive.
Beginning with the D9 the pressure data is now being recorded with every sample captured by the computer so your final graph has the actual accurate pressure info through the entire dive graph. All models with air integration that are newer than the D9 also have this feature, Vyper Air, HelO, HelO2, D6i, D4i.

To the op, I have an original Vytec not the DS (the only difference is the DS adds Deep Stops and a 3rd gas) and was just handed down a Vyper Air.
I have no problems reading the Vytec but the Vyper Air display is much more readable to me. I already owned a Suunto SK7 compass which is by far the best underwater compass I have used so the electronic compass of the Vyper Air is not a big deal to me and I much rather use and have an analog compass ready to use than the e-version.

Bottom line, if it wasn't because it's being handed down to me I would not have a need to replace my Vytec with a Vyper Air. The Vytec DS will serve you well for a very long time, has the third gas option should you need that eventually; and if you need a compass the analog version is better and cheaper. I would ask for a bigger discount on the DS if they say no you were already ok with the price if they say yes even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom