Rangalai Island Maldives (Conrad) - Question about Cleaning stations & Manta Rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prblythe

New
Reaction score
Is there anyway to see/swim with Mata Rays without diving? We have snorkeled and I am comfortable with doing that but would hate to miss out on such a unique experience. Does the dive center / cleaning station offer some sort of diving "albeit shallow" for those who are not "accredited divers". I would actually like to get video under water of the manta rays.

I worked at Rangali for a couple of years. You may be a bit confused about the manta cleaning station about 10mins from Rangali.

I have seen snorkelers on the site but usually the mantas are about 12-15m underwater so from the surface you may not get a good chance to see them. When I worked there we did not do snorkeling trips there. Apart from the depth, it is also exposed to wind and waves especially at this time of year.

The dive center does do Discovery Dives in the lagoon and from there you can do an additional dive from the boat, but the cleaning station is not appropriate for Discovery Dives. It's too deep and prone to current..... unless you cough up and do a private course and take a private boat. If you're prepared to drop the money, anything is possible in 5* resorts in the Maldives.

When I worked there, a juvenile manta or two would be seen regularly from the footbridge connecting the 2 islands. They would show up around 8 or 9pm. We tried snorkeling there one night but they got spooked and disappeared and so we didn't continue and asked guests not to try.

The dive center organises speedboat trips across to Maamigili where there is a good chance to snorkel with whalesharks... and about 50 other people. Good chance to see mantas on that trip as well as they're often at the surface or only a few meters under water.

Thank you supergaijin. This information is very helpful!
Working there must have been an amazing experience. We are looking forward to our trip.

Hello prblythe,
I work there today. Everything supergaijin has mentioned is still absolutely true, but I do want to mention dates: we only see mantas at the cleaning station from around mid December to mid March. The rest of the year -the whole year, in fact- you can see them every evening from the surface on the bridge connecting the two islands, but you can't get in the water with them.
If you are planning your trip during manta season, I would suggest doing your open water diver course in the first three days of your stay, and then you can dive on manta point almost every day. We have a videography service, so you can request a videographer to accompany you and film your dive with the mantas!

You are absolutely right in thinking tht this is an opportunity not to be missed. Of all the creatures I have seen, the mantas are still my reigning favorites!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom