Aladin 2G display disappeared?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moose_grunt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I went on a night dive last night, and everything was fine and dandy with my 2G. Woke up today and went to download the dive, and the screen doesn't display....anything. I put a fresh battery in, and it beeps as I go through menus, the backlight works, and I can connect it to my computer (says "full battery"), but the screen just BARELY displays the characters.

I'm going to give Scubapro a call tonight, but has anybody else had this problem? Any solutions?

I was thinking it might be that a particular brand/capacity of battery might be needed--what is the "official" battery? I put in a new panasonic lithium cell...

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
I don´t think there is an issue with the battery brand. As long as it says CR2450 (which I believe is the one that uses the 2G) you should be OK. Main difference between the brands like Panasonic or Sony vs Renata is the "in service" life of the battery. I am afraid my diagnose is not good: either the display driver is malfunctioning or some water got into the electronics. Although the latter is unlikely unless the 2G case case or its glass have a crack, I mentioned it because I´ve it seen displays go blank after water got into a couple dive computers. A display will also go blank if you leave the computer sitting in the sun for a couple hours, but that does not seem to be your case. Leave it alone for a few days and, if after that the display does not come back to life, I would suggest having it serviced at Scubapro.

I don´t think there is an issue with the battery brand. As long as it says CR2450 (which I believe is the one that uses the 2G) you should be OK. Main difference between the brands like Panasonic or Sony vs Renata is the "in service" life of the battery. I am afraid my diagnose is not good: either the display driver is malfunctioning or some water got into the electronics. Although the latter is unlikely unless the 2G case case or its glass have a crack, I mentioned it because I´ve it seen displays go blank after water got into a couple dive computers. A display will also go blank if you leave the computer sitting in the sun for a couple hours, but that does not seem to be your case. Leave it alone for a few days and, if after that the display does not come back to life, I would suggest having it serviced at Scubapro.

I have an IST (GP4000Compass +) that has gone blank on be before, twice, underwater on a dive. I was not pleased. Then, on board a dive boat, the display showed every possible number and symbol all at once. In all cases resetting the computer solved the prob. At first i thought it might be battery, even though no battery symbol ever appeared. I changed the battery after the first failure and the dive comp worked ok for about 2 weeks before it went blank again. and this after a new battery and a reset. it display showing everything it could happened about a week after that. The compass was always wrong unless it was just after resetting the declination for my location...which hadnt changed since i bought the dive comp.

My LDS gladly replaced the dive comp with a new one on the spot. Good reason to buy locally.

I had the same issue with a Galileo Luna- contacted ScubaPro and was told to download my dives. Sent the computer in and after 1 week was given a replacement- my LDS rocked and upgraded me to the SOL. I had just logged 103 dives on the computer when the problem occurred.

Hello,
I hope yall are doing well and having some great dives.

My Aladin 2G is giving me a very weak screen. I have not touched the batter or anything as of yet. Right now I log about 6-9 dives a week and probably have around 8dives on the computer. I was having trouble getting the water contacts to turn off prior to this issue. Did yall get any answers other than new computers? I am afraid that will not be option for me since this one is a replacement computer for my old aladin that failed after 125 dives.

Thanks

Hello,
I hope yall are doing well and having some great dives.

My Aladin 2G is giving me a very weak screen. I have not touched the batter or anything as of yet. Right now I log about 6-9 dives a week and probably have around 8dives on the computer. I was having trouble getting the water contacts to turn off prior to this issue. Did yall get any answers other than new computers? I am afraid that will not be option for me since this one is a replacement computer for my old aladin that failed after 125 dives.

Thanks
If you are having problems with the water contacts turning the computer display going off after a salt water dive rinse it in fresh water. Sometimes a little salt residue makes it think it is in the water still. It has happened to a few people I know and after a short freshwater rinse it turns right off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom