Stay Away from Florida Keys Dive Center [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Stay Away from Florida Keys Dive Center

Sponsored Link

xjeslesx
May 29th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Just stay away, far away! Florida Keys Dive Center of Islamorada is a horrible dive operator.
They jam divers onto their boats like sardines, with zero room to set up/store gear. I understand they are trying to make money, but there is no reason to stuff twenty five (25) divers onto a single dive boat. To top it off they had a second dive boat tied to the dock that they were not using. The entire boarding procedure was a chaotic mess and the dive boats left on average of 45 minutes late. To top it off some of employees were a$$holes.
I arrived at the dive shop early, so few customers were there. I asked an employee if I could use a pressure gauge to check my tank (which I had the dive op fill). I always check the pressure in my tanks prior to diving. The employee completely flipped out, yelling about how he was so busy and it was a giant inconvenience for him to hand me the gauge which was not being used by anyone. I explained that Ďit wasnít a big deal, just a pressure gaugeĒ, and the employee continued on about how it was a big deal and so on and so forth. I decided to go onto the boat and unpack my own reg to check my tanks instead.
Iím not saying all the employees were bad, some were friendly and helpful, but one or two bad apples can ruin the day. When I pay decent money to go diving I expect to be treated as anyone would want to be treated, fairly. Is it fair to stuff 25 divers on a single boat? Is it fair to yell at a customer for no reason? I donít think so, and that is why I am warning anyone that is considering using this dive op.
Stay away!

DandyDon
May 29th, 2012, 11:20 AM
For him to provide you with his pressure gauge, he has to stop what he is doing and watch you use it less it vanish as tools so often do. He felt it has already been checked by his staff. Using your reg & spg was appropriate since he was trying to get a big boat ready to go.

Otherwise, if you don't want to dive from cattle boats - then don't book them. There are plenty of small boat operators around the Keys, but then they are not as well inspected.

mike_s
May 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
there is no reason to stuff twenty five (25) divers onto a single dive boat.

understand your frustration.... but what do you expect on Memorial day weekend?

seems to be a duplicate post of this also. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/421777-stay-away-florida-keys-dive-center.html

EDIT: Mod's merged his duplicate threads.... above Link doesn't work for that reason.

Steve50
May 29th, 2012, 11:27 AM
How many divers was the boat designed to handle? How many other divers came up to the shop to ask to use their equipment to check the tank pressure that they have already checked? I have seen, and been issued, short fills before. A full tank is provided from the extras brought on board.

GROBIOG
May 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I think your thread is unfair.
If boats are certified to take 25 people, I see no reason for them not to, most actually are certified for more than what they take, they limit their reservation for 2-3 less in case last minute or mistakes, that way no one is left on the dock.

Have you consider paying for an additional 2-3 spots on the boat for some xtra room for yourself? How about a private charter? Did you ask not to be on a full boat when you booked your trip? There are operations with 6 pack boats out there, if that is your priority.

I do not like full boats at all, the less people is much better, in fact if they could bring just my buddy and I... but, weekends and holidays are most always full boats, I choose not to dive then, I tried to avoid the places and times when the boat is full, but to come here and bash the operation for that is just wrong.

As for your tank pressure, the employee should not be rude, however, there is always 2 sides to every story. I don't know the circumstances but I can see many reasons to be annoyed by your request too.
If you are paranoid about your tank pressure (I have friends like that) buy yourself a tank pressure checker or simply use your reg before the boat departs, there are numerous ways to keep better track of your tanks pressure/content as well

Hope this helps.

HowardE
May 29th, 2012, 11:46 AM
The 46' Newton Dive boats that FLKYs has are certified to carry 36 divers.

http://www.floridakeysdivectr.com/scuba-dive-boats.html

fisheyeview
May 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
FKDC runs 2 46' Newtons These boats are certified to carry 36 divers. I go out with several ops in Florida that run the same boat. Is it nicer to have fewer divers on the boat? Sure, but there is still plenty of room on a Newton. Like a lot of people said, maybe you need to stick to 6 packs.

---------- Post added ----------

Wow! Howard and I had the same thought?

mike_s
May 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
The 46' Newton Dive boats that FLKYs has are certified to carry 36 divers.

Florida Keys Dive Center - Key Largo Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Boats and Charter (http://www.floridakeysdivectr.com/scuba-dive-boats.html)

25 divers on this boat is not really over crowded.

I've been on 46 Newtons before with large crowds.... typically you've got plenty of room.

I've seen some other operators in the keys put WAY more than 25 people on a boat on a HOLIDAY weekend. Often combining snorkel and divers together for shallow sites.

F

Wow! Howard and I had the same thought?

You were thinking about Toast?

bug catcher
May 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I stopped at Fl. Keys D.C. in the last week in Feb. The long hair,(I don't mind polite long haired people), working behind the desk was irritated with our questions about the dive, no. of divers on the boat etc. He treated us like our questions were stupid. The winds were strong and waves high and their boat can handle 10 footers so they go no matter what 10' or less he told us. Well 10' waves make diving not fun for me anyway. We ended up diving with Ocean Divers of Key Largo. They were professional, answered our questions and even recomended we not go on 10ft. wave days. They have a 46ft. dive boat staffed helpful people and they go with just 2 paying customers. I guess some days they loose money if only 2 divers go. Their $100.00 2 tank trip is about the same price as the other dive shops. We had people from South America on our trip so I guess $100.00 for them was not too much. I'm retired from Florida and not wealthy so I don't go to the Keys much as the dive price is getting to be to much for me to afford and then add tips. So, I covered 2 subjects w/ 1 post and hope it helps anyone going to the Keys.

simskiscuba
May 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Ditto on Ocean Divers. Great operation. Can't speak for the other place.

Rich Keller
May 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM
It seems to me like you are making a big deal out of a couple of very minor things. It was a holiday weekend and you have your own SPG. I dove with them a couple of days in March and they seem like a fine operation to me. The other thing I think you are doing wrong is judging and entire operation on one half day dive. How would you feel if you job performance and chance for promotion were based solely on you worst day on the job? Bad days happen, get over it!

jar546
May 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I see a customer service issue due to attitude but no reason to bash an entire operation. Sorry, no sympathy here. Holiday weekend, large boat with 11 less divers than they are allowed? What's the problem? Your thread should have been more focused on the customer service issue rather than condemning an entire operation.

Scott
May 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
<FKDC employees at the bar> You know it wasn't a bad day. Yes, we were behind but most of the customers were understanding. I only ran into a couple of a-holes.
Tomorrow is another day, we'll try it again. Bottoms up.

Pedro Burrito
May 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Ditto on Ocean Divers. Great operation. Can't speak for the other place.

What's funny is the last time I dove with Ocean Divers (March 2010), they crammed 28 people onto their 46 Nekton. We waited almost an hour on the boat in the sun for the South Beach divers to finally show up. We encountered large swells, lots of n00bs, 5 people vomiting over the rail, an avalanche of dropped weights and bicycle kickers that stirred up the sand so much that many could not find the boat. 28 jumped in and only 24 returned to the boat. Never again.

Reck Diver
May 29th, 2012, 03:39 PM
When you open your dive center I'm sure everything will be perfect. Of course then it will be your turn to put up with those wonderful folks from the Northeast.

Hawkwood
May 29th, 2012, 03:55 PM
... 28 jumped in and only 24 returned to the boat...

.......obvious question.....what happened to the other 4? Still out there?

Bill

faster7581
May 29th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I wouldnt want to be on a boat with that many divers either, but if the boat can handle it, it is what it is... But, I definitely dont see a problem asking for a guage to check your tanks they filled.... if they were nitrox, youre supposed to sign out on the % after you check it with their analizer, at least at shops up here, so i dont get why it would be a problem to check pressure also..... I dont like short fills...

Jim Lapenta
May 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM
For one thing I always carry my own checker. It's on my reg. And unless you are doing the Duane or the Grove 2500 in an al 80 is more than enough air for me on a reef dive of less than 40 feet with an hour time limit.

Selchie in LB
May 29th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Booo to the OP! Whine & cheese section please.

conchrandy
May 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Being in the biz, I find myself a bit defensive, here. That said, no excuses for rudeness; the guy across the street (in this case, literally) is always willing to accommodate you.

You have to understand that dive ops in the Keys rely on the peak days i.e. Memorial Day, The 4th, and Spring Break to turn a profit and stay in business. Not to mention the good weather attendant to same. Like every enterprise in the Keys, i'ts going to be a a little chaotic on those days. The boats will be full, all of them, even at the not so great shops. Every restaurant will be maxed out with hour long waits.

Most boats operate at 50% capacity average during the non-peak period. Suggest those times if you don't care for the crowds.

Memorial Day weekend was a scare for us shop owners as the weather forecasts were bad. Turns out we had glorious weather, filled our boats and as such were given a little financial strength so necessary in this very volatile business.

timg
May 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM
What's funny is the last time I dove with Ocean Divers (March 2010), they crammed 28 people onto their 46 Nekton. We waited almost an hour on the boat in the sun for the South Beach divers to finally show up. We encountered large swells, lots of n00bs, 5 people vomiting over the rail, an avalanche of dropped weights and bicycle kickers that stirred up the sand so much that many could not find the boat. 28 jumped in and only 24 returned to the boat. Never again.

I avoid South Beach days at OD like the plague. Newtons are rated for 36 divers, I think, so 28 is still within the limit. Crowded? yes. South Beach divers? Run away. When I first moved here, I went out a few times when SB was on the boat. Always late. IMO they do not respect OD for the service level they receive. I applaud anyone that wants to learn to dive, so don't take it the wrong way. I just saw the way SB instructors treated OD folks, and I did not like what I saw. To keep the boat - and other paying divers - waiting is just plain wrong.

deeper thoughts
May 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM
FKDC has been here for many years. I personally have had many dealings with them and have always found them excellent. Just my 2cents

Pedro Burrito
May 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
.......obvious question.....what happened to the other 4? Still out there?

Bill

The Pisces from Horizon Divers picked them up, a few hundred meters down current from the OD boat.

I don't mean to pick on Ocean Divers or FKDC but I learned a valuable lesson that day ... stay away from cattle boats on busy days. This kind of craziness can and will occur occasionally. Plus if you get a late group of six to 10 n00bs, insanity will ensue. It was not fun and I'll never do it again.

Bratface
May 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
There is no place for rudeness. However, like others have said, it was a holiday weekend which means more people have the time off to go diving. I don't like to dive with that many people either, regularly dive with 6 or 8 which is sometimes too much. Now as far as asking to use their pressure gauge, I would just use my own reg. If you got a short tank, it would be replaced in plenty of time to get in the water. Don't let something like that spoil your holiday dive.

bilsant
May 29th, 2012, 08:59 PM
If I feel crowded on a boat (I'm a big guy), that's my problem, and I make a mental boat to go sixpack the next time.

If the guy at the counter snarks off to me at a polite request (can I use your pressure gauge for a minute, please?), then we settle it right then and there, or I talk to the owner privately afterwards.

If the owner is a knucklehead, then and only then you folks may hear about it on this board.

Without having been there, I suspect that in this instance some of those steps might have been skipped before the posting.

As to the "I had a bad day and coulda done better with that customer. Now I'll have a beer." - it's nice to think that way, but it would be kidding ourselves to think that there isn't a cost attached to poor customer service - on any day. As competitive as dive ops are in South Florida, I'd be surprised if any owner was that relaxed about treating a customer badly. (actually, I know of two, but one's already gone and thoe other's not gonna be around much longer...)

t4e
May 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Is it fair to stuff 25 divers on a single boat? Is it fair to yell at a customer for no reason?

never mind fair, is it legal?
at least the Canadian regulations are that a 40-50 ft tag boat can have 12 passengers max

LeafyGirl
May 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi all, can't speak to FKDC as never dove with the. We often dive with OD and they are a great op. The days when SB and other such large groups are coming we stay away. Those experiences take much of the enjoyment out of diving. They are a massive cluster. A six pack is a good suggestion as long as you are comfortable with the boat. Some have the center engine cover that make it pretty difficult to get around or gear up even with only six divers. I agree people have bad days, but when your in a service oriented business you have to develop good face management and suck it up and serve the customer. It's fine to redirect a customer in a professional way. How about "hey I am super busy getting the boat ready to head to the reef, can you get set up on the boat and use your SPG to check your air?" If you get a short fill have staff change the tank. I got 3 short filled tanks in a row before. Does that expectation and reply seem reasonable as a staff member and as a customer? Let's keep diving fun!

fisheyeview
May 30th, 2012, 08:35 AM
at least the Canadian regulations are that a 40-50 ft tag boat can have 12 passengers max

Yes, it is legal. The boats are Coast Guard certified to carry 36 divers.

Wookie
May 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Warning - Off topic post -

Yes, it is legal. The boats are Coast Guard certified to carry 36 divers.

I'm certified to carry 123 divers. That doesn't mean I should.

Now, back to the "I had a lousy time" rant.

HowardE
May 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Are you sure about that? Canadian passenger vessels are subject to regulation just like in the US by the USCG. In the US, there is an UPV (uninspected passenger vessel) which can carry up to 6 passengers (6-pack) - in Canada, the cutoff is 12 passengers. Passenger Vessels FAQ - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-small-vessels-faq-inspections-446.htm)

Wookie
May 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Are you sure about that? Canadian passenger vessels are subject to regulation just like in the US by the USCG. In the US, there is an UPV (uninspected passenger vessel) which can carry up to 6 passengers (6-pack) - in Canada, the cutoff is 12 passengers. Passenger Vessels FAQ - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-small-vessels-faq-inspections-446.htm)

Actually, In the USA you may have an uninspected 12 pack if the vessel is over 100 gross tons. S/V Juliet is one such vessel. We have toyed with making the Spree another.

HowardE
May 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Actually, In the USA you may have an uninspected 12 pack if the vessel is over 100 gross tons. S/V Juliet is one such vessel. We have toyed with making the Spree another.

There you go...

I should have added to my comment, that the gross tonnage is part the determining factor in Canada and not the length of the boat.

DandyDon
May 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I'm certified to carry 123 divers. That doesn't mean I should.
:shocked2: You're kidding...?! :confused:

You want to cater to the wealthiest...? :crafty:

Rescue Diver68
May 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Original poster: Sounds like you didn't do your homework when choosing a dive op and you would have preferred a 6 pack type of boat.
There really is no reason for you to not have grabbed your reg and checked your own tank pressure rather than bother employees trying to get divers checked in and the boat ready. I dont know if his tone was innapropriate but he may have been having a bad day and should have been professional.

Reck Diver
May 30th, 2012, 02:42 PM

I thought Canadian vessels were safer. No matter what they just don't tip.

bilsant
May 30th, 2012, 05:23 PM
:rofl3:

theduckguru
May 31st, 2012, 01:58 AM
I used Florida Keys Dive Center in March 2010. Total opposite of your experiance. Big empty boat with 8 on board and 2 other boats tied to the dock with no customers to fill them. It was obvious that the operation would be a hive of activity in summer, especially on a holiday weekend. I'd use these guys again, but not at peak season. When the customer demand allowed for the staff to be relaxed and friendly, they were. I can't imagine visiting this op when they were serving 70-100 divers a morning. Anyone with the observation skills of Steve Wonder could figure out the score at this dive op on a holiday weekend.

Their boats were powered by John Deere engines that I found very impressive and fume free.

mike_s
May 31st, 2012, 09:57 AM
well almost 40 posts and several days later, the original poster "has not been seen again".
He originally started at least 2 threads to bash his experience with this dive op.

I call these type posters "Seagull Posters".

Why? because they fly in from no where, make a lot of noise, crap all over the place, and they fly off not to be seen again .....

DandyDon
May 31st, 2012, 10:59 AM
He may not log on every day, or - maybe he just saw that he lost early and shut up...?

t4e
May 31st, 2012, 12:35 PM

you are confusing Canada with USA

deeper thoughts
May 31st, 2012, 01:09 PM

:rofl3:

xjeslesx
May 31st, 2012, 02:12 PM
well almost 40 posts and several days later, the original poster "has not been seen again".
He originally started at least 2 threads to bash his experience with this dive op.

I call these type posters "Seagull Posters".

Why? because they fly in from no where, make a lot of noise, crap all over the place, and they fly off not to be seen again .....

I wanted to wait a few days to view the broad spectrum of comments. It is obvious the jerk from FKDC was the first one to comment on this post.
Again, I showed up more than an hour before the boat left the dock, there may have been 3 or 4 customers at the shop total, with zero line at the fill station. I paid for fills from the shop. I don't see any problem with asking to use a pressure gauge to check the tank when I am the only one standing there. I was not going to 'walk away' with the gauge, I wasn't preventing the idiot employee from doing anything in the least. He was standing next to the fill station right next to my tank, which he had filled a few minutes prior.
Is it unreasonable to ask to use the shops gauge to take 30 seconds to check my tank? No it is not unreasonable.
If the employee was even remotely busy or there was a line or if I had my reg with me (not packed on the boat) I wouldn't have asked.
Point of this post is that people dive for fun, they pay money to go diving to have fun, they expect to have fun, or at least not be yelled at by a moron employee.
If you go into any business and are treated rudely the solution is simple, you don't go back. You let other people know the situation and let them decide for themselves.

As far as the 25 diver situation, yes I have learned to use a six pack dive op and not a cattle car. If there are two boats available it seems logical to utilize both boats and allow customers to not be packed like sardines, but that is just my opinion. I understand there is a cost associated with running a second boat. I also understand that the short term (tips) and long term (repeat customers) will greatly improve the bottom line for the crew and business when customers are happy.

In closing, I am not gunning for FYDC. I have never spoke poorly of any other dive operation despite the fact that I've dove with dozens of other operations. What I am doing is explaining the situation that I encountered and provided that information to anyone that may use FYDC.

Rescue Diver68
May 31st, 2012, 02:25 PM
It is obvious the jerk from FKDC was the first one to comment on this post.

It's obvious that you do not know what you are talking about.

xjeslesx
May 31st, 2012, 02:26 PM
He may not log on every day, or - maybe he just saw that he lost early and shut up...?

I was only going to post one last time but this brilliant comment deserves a response. It is obvious by your comment that you some how feel that you (the employee) are in competition with me (the customer). This is not a win or lose situation, there is only information provided. I've made my decision regarding this dive op. I can not / will not decide what other divers will do. My goal was to share information with fellow divers, and I have accomplished this.

Rescue Diver68
May 31st, 2012, 02:32 PM
I was only going to post one last time but this brilliant comment deserves a response. It is obvious by your comment that you some how feel that you (the employee) are in competition with me (the customer). This is not a win or lose situation, there is only information provided. I've made my decision regarding this dive op. I can not / will not decide what other divers will do. My goal was to share information with fellow divers, and I have accomplished this.

Oh, thats freakin funny!
Moonlighting as a dive shop employee in Florida are you Dandy Don?
OMG! So funny!

Hawkwood
May 31st, 2012, 02:33 PM
Don went pro and nobody knew!

HowardE
May 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
If you go into any business and are treated rudely the solution is simple, you don't go back. You let other people know the situation and let them decide for themselves.

Yes, this is true, but posting a statement to "Stay Away from Florida Keys Dive Center" is considerably different than, "I will never use Florida Keys Dive Center"

One is saying, "I had a bad experience, use caution" the other is saying, "This place is always bad, and they are bad business people, do whatever you can do to avoid them at all costs"

So if you are (as you say) not gunning for them, then what were you hoping to accomplish?

Comments like this

I wasn't preventing the idiot employee also won't win you any fans here.

If you wanted to share your bad experience, that's one thing... But your rant, is fairly extreme... As many people have said. You are commenting on the state of a busy dive center on a busy weekend. It doesn't sound like you're being fair in your evaluation. It also sounds like you didn't choose wisely as to whom you wanted to dive with, since it sounds like you prefer smaller groups, and it shows on their website that they have 2 giant Newton dive boats.

It is obvious the jerk from FKDC was the first one to comment on this post.

This is highly inflammatory, and as far as I can tell, nobody from FLKYs has responded to this thread. Can you blame them?

Rescue Diver68
May 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Don went pro and nobody knew!

One heck of a commute I'd say!

Actually, it's me. I'm the bad dive shop employee. I drive down from NJ everyday. The commute is why you aggrevated me so much. I mean after driving 1250 miles I just dont feel like loaning my pressure gauge out, ya know?

xjeslesx
May 31st, 2012, 02:40 PM
By showing up at a dive op at 7:30am prior to other customers arriving I do not see the relevance to it being a holiday weekend. This would surely matter at 8:30 or 9 once other customers showed up at the dive op.

Selchie in LB
May 31st, 2012, 02:44 PM
Again I say Boooo to the OP :ohbrother::ohbrother:
More Whine and cheese please :coke:

DandyDon
May 31st, 2012, 04:48 PM
I wanted to wait a few days to view the broad spectrum of comments. It is obvious the jerk from FKDC was the first one to comment on this post.
Nope... :lol:

For him to provide you with his pressure gauge, he has to stop what he is doing and watch you use it less it vanish as tools so often do. He felt it has already been checked by his staff. Using your reg & spg was appropriate since he was trying to get a big boat ready to go.

Again, I showed up more than an hour before the boat left the dock, there may have been 3 or 4 customers at the shop total, with zero line at the fill station. I paid for fills from the shop. I don't see any problem with asking to use a pressure gauge to check the tank when I am the only one standing there. I was not going to 'walk away' with the gauge, I wasn't preventing the idiot employee from doing anything in the least. He was standing next to the fill station right next to my tank, which he had filled a few minutes prior.
I know when I loan tools out, I have to watch them being used so I get them back - or hope for the best, often tracking them down, searching for where they were laid or hid. An hour before a big boat is launched on a busy holiday, I am sure everyone had plenty to worry about and plenty of work to do without tourists questioning their work.

So anyway, did you take your own tank down from Massachusetts to Florida? I guess that gets you the locals discount. How much did it save you...?

As far as the 25 diver situation, yes I have learned to use a six pack dive op and not a cattle car. If there are two boats available it seems logical to utilize both boats and allow customers to not be packed like sardines, but that is just my opinion. I understand there is a cost associated with running a second boat. I also understand that the short term (tips) and long term (repeat customers) will greatly improve the bottom line for the crew and business when customers are happy.
It costs twice as much to send two boats out for one boat load. Would you and the rest been happier paying twice as much that way...?

:laughing: Dude, I do not work for any dive op, or in Florida, etc. You did not reply to dozens of posts so I guessed. Whatever - enjoy the rest of Scubaboard and the rest of the Keys.

By showing up at a dive op at 7:30am prior to other customers arriving I do not see the relevance to it being a holiday weekend. This would surely matter at 8:30 or 9 once other customers showed up at the dive op.
Actually I have thought that way at times, I know - but they wouldn't have even been there at 7:30 if they didn't have other work to do. Going to sea is risky business, everything needs to be right and checked, make sure nothing is missed, and then you get a couple of dozen tourists to please - one with an attitude. :shakehead:

Splitlip
May 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Oh, thats freakin funny!
Moonlighting as a dive shop employee in Florida are you Dandy Don?
OMG! So funny!
Must be a hell of a commute.

Rescue Diver68
May 31st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Dude. Not only would Dandy Don have let you use the tank pressure gauge with no problem. He would have suggested you test your tank for CO, rented you a Gps, a snorkeling vest, and gave you helpful hints about bags of sand in case you intend to smoke on the boat.

conchrandy
May 31st, 2012, 05:49 PM
uhh, xj-my Newton went out today at 1:30 with a whopping four divers.. 2 ft seas. 50 vis...missed you....

Splitlip
May 31st, 2012, 05:50 PM
Ya know I can't agree with the op on his boat complaints. I do wonder however why he wasn't permitted to test his tanks.

Every shop I use here provides gauges to check tank pressure when you pick them up. In fact if it's a nitrox tank the diver must analyze mix AND pressure for the log.

Anyone know if this shop provides nitrox fills? If so there should have been a means to test pressure even if it was at the nitrox analyzers.

DandyDon
May 31st, 2012, 06:03 PM
Dude. Not only would Dandy Don have let you use the tank pressure gauge with no problem. He would have suggested you test your tank for CO2, rented you a Gps, a snorkeling vest, and gave you helpful hints about bags of sand in case you intend to smoke on the boat.

:lol:

No, it's CO and I will loan my analyzer, but I will stand there and watch to make sure I get it back. I don't trust Gps and I only carry one vest - that I wear, and I use baking soda for butts. Helps control smell. :eyebrow:

Ya know I can't agree with the op on his boat complaints. I do wonder however why he wasn't permitted to test his tanks.

Every shop I use here provides gauges to check tank pressure when you pick them up. In fact if it's a nitrox tank the diver must analyze mix AND pressure for the log.

Anyone know if this shop provides nitrox fills? If so there should have been a means to test pressure even if it was at the nitrox analyzers.
I have only dived at that Op once, many years ago. Not my fav but no complaints. I'm sure they have analyzers for Nitrox, but the Analox model usually used does not check pressure.

I have never seen a customer borrow a tank pressure gauge altho I have seen employees using one to check tanks. I suspect they only had one with other plans.

HowardE
May 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM
hmm... doesn't every diver have a pressure gauge of their own???

Wouldn't it be attached to their FIRST STAGE??

Parsons
May 31st, 2012, 07:23 PM
I have used this dive shop many times without an issue. All this thread has done is make me want to get back down there and get some dives in.

Splitlip
May 31st, 2012, 07:33 PM
hmm... doesn't every diver have a pressure gauge of their own???

Wouldn't it be attached to their FIRST STAGE??
I do, but I seldom have my regs with me when I pick them up.

I drop them after my dives and usually pick them up during work and store them at home. That way I am ready to go where ever I'll use them next.

HowardE
May 31st, 2012, 08:03 PM

I drop them after my dives and usually pick them up during work and store them at home. That way I am ready to go where ever I'll use them next.

Don't you have them when you're going diving though?

mike_s
May 31st, 2012, 10:19 PM
I bought one of these several years ago. well worth the investment.

http://www.houseofscuba.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/acc239.jpg

I used it last weekend right before I loaded up my tanks to make sure they were full. :thumb:

Got it because I didn't like having to carry the reg set out to the garage to check tank pressures. It's also much easier to use than having to mess with regulator hoses, etc.

I can see anyone who dives a decent amount and/or owns their own tanks having one.

Rich Keller
June 1st, 2012, 06:28 AM

Even if this guy did not want to check tank pressure he should have put a reg on at least one tank to make sure the reg was working properly before the boat left the dock. It would not have been much of a chore to then test the other tank after that.

Splitlip
June 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Splitlip http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/421778-stay-away-florida-keys-dive-center-6.html#post6361820)

Don't you have them when you're going diving though?

Sure. But it would it would be inconvenient to find a short fill if I'm at the dock, entry site, boat ramp etc. even if I were to mount the first stage as soon as arrived home with tanks, I would have turn around, go back to the shop schlepping my regs because the shop presumably won't let me use a gauge. Then I would need to analyze again.

Maybe it's because I've been diving nitrox for so long I don't remember having a shops pressure gauge being unavailable.

My main LDS always had gauges hanging outside their tank room along with O2 analyzers. Maybe a couple walked because they since integrated pressure gauges into the fixxed analyzers. In fact they also have 2 fixed pressure gauges without integrated analyzers for air divers.

(I always analyze my daughters air tanks though)

theduckguru
June 1st, 2012, 04:10 PM

I used Florida Keys Dive Center in March 2010. Total opposite of your experiance. Big empty boat with 8 on board and 2 other boats tied to the dock with no customers to fill them. It was obvious that the operation would be a hive of activity in summer, especially on a holiday weekend. I'd use these guys again, but not at peak season. When the customer demand allowed for the staff to be relaxed and friendly, they were. I can't imagine visiting this op when they were serving 70-100 divers a morning. Anyone with the observation skills of Steve Wonder could figure out the score at this dive op on a holiday weekend.

Their boats were powered by John Deere engines that I found very impressive and fume free.

Adding to my post, I dove Nitrox one day, their staff tested the mix as a witnessed. IOW, full serve.

HowardE
June 1st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Sure. But it would it would be inconvenient to find a short fill if I'm at the dock, entry site, boat ramp etc. even if I were to mount the first stage as soon as arrived home with tanks, I would have turn around, go back to the shop schlepping my regs because the shop presumably won't let me use a gauge. Then I would need to analyze again.

Maybe it's because I've been diving nitrox for so long I don't remember having a shops pressure gauge being unavailable.

My main LDS always had gauges hanging outside their tank room along with O2 analyzers. Maybe a couple walked because they since integrated pressure gauges into the fixxed analyzers. In fact they also have 2 fixed pressure gauges without integrated analyzers for air divers.

(I always analyze my daughters air tanks though)

Are we talking about the same thread? In the one I'm looking at... There's a guy who is at the dive shop/boat... waiting to go diving. He's complaining that he couldn't gauge his tanks, because the "jerk at the dive shop" wouldn't let him use the gauge. The dive shop is like 50 feet from the boat. If he doesn't have his first stage with him... how is he going diving??

Splitlip
June 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Are we talking about the same thread? In the one I'm looking at... There's a guy who is at the dive shop/boat... waiting to go diving. He's complaining that he couldn't gauge his tanks, because the "jerk at the dive shop" wouldn't let him use the gauge. The dive shop is like 50 feet from the boat. If he doesn't have his first stage with him... how is he going diving??

I guess you lost track. I was replying to your post #60 in which you asked ME if I didn't have my regs when I dive.

HowardE
June 1st, 2012, 07:30 PM
And? If you were the Guy in this thread... nevermind.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Splitlip
June 1st, 2012, 09:45 PM
And? If you were the Guy in this thread... nevermind.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Huh???
I do mind because you are not being clear in your reply.

If I was what guy? The OP? You were not addressing the "Guy", you were addressing me. That's all...never mind.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1