Refugio Beach on 5/30/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading up to Refugio for the day tomorrow. Anyone else gonna be there? We should be there by 11:45pm ish. Maybe, lol. Gonna put a friend in the water who is new to Socal shore diving and I am trying out a new dry suit. Left or right over the sand to the kelp beds usually correct? I have been to Refugio to swim but never to dive. Looks like a nice place to go for an easy shore dive.

I agree Tim. Looks like larger kelp to the left to me as well when I was there last summer as a swimmer. I will report anon...

Also looks pretty calm in Malibu on swell watch. Wonder if we should stay closer to home tomorrow...

---------- Post added ----------

---------- Post added ----------

We did two dives. We were the only divers there all day.
icosm14.gif

Dive #1: 20 fsw, low tide, 45 mins, 61f, maybe 5-8 feet viz, usual sand critter and kelp.
Dive#2: 20 fsw, high tide, 30 mins, 58f, same viz, we entered the very dense kelp bed to the left with a pod of dolphins chasing bait balls maybe 20 feet away. We saw them before we descended but could only hear them and see the fish they were chasing at the edge of the kelp line. Man, that's some very thick kelp!

All in all, a nice day. Not a great dive site but a super lovely beach and nice facilities. $10 for a day pass. A long drive from LA at 2hrs but if you want to try out new gear and bring a new diver along then it is hard to beat Refugio in the consistency dept. It seems to always be dive-able. Short walk from the car to the water too!
icosm14.gif

Back
Top Bottom