Choker Clip Solutions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, I'm a traditionalist side mounter (oxymoron???) in that I have always just pulled the bungee around my valve. Getting off and on boats is problematical with this, and I have simply avoided that scenario. However, NASE is rolling out it's XTek program at Forty Fathom Grotto this week, so I got to play with Lamar's (DiveRight's) choker system on some aluminum tanks. I was somewhat impressed with the concept, but I just didn't like the chokers. I can see them getting loose during the dive and I saw a few differenct solutions attempting to fix this. So, around 4:00 this morning, I awoke with a start! I had dreamed of at least three different solutions, so I laid in bed sorting them out. It didn't take long to pick one out and I went to Lowe's at 5:00 am, then waited to 6:00 am for them to open. I got some 18 gauge copper wire (though I would have preferred stainless steel) and some heavy duty Zip Ties. You could use hose clamps instead of the Zip Ties...

20120601_072248.jpg

It's raining right now, so I haven't put them on the tank. As soon as it breaks, I'll be sure to post the pics.

I use "The Band" brand velcro watch bands. They are completely secure and yet easily removable.

I tried the DiveRite chokers and found they could loosen, and they were not easily removable on gear that was already set-up.

(You are using the stage strap rigging too, then?)

It worked quite well in the Grotto.

Last edited:
Something else I found to speed things up for boat diving is using a suicide clip for the top clip. Then it is just a matter of guiding the ring to the clip, and it pops right in.

Yeah, I have real issues with suicide clips. It was first called "Murray's Law", but there was a typo at the printers. :D

How durable are these turning out to be?

It didn't take long to pick one out and I went to Lowe's at 5:00 am, then waited to 6:00 am for them to open.

Next time, stop and get breakfast first. Much better than sitting around a parking lot. :wink:

i use butterfly clips up top. i can lift the tank *or* hold the snap open but not both. so, i have an equipment solution for my strength issue. yeah, yeah, eat me.

lol...

I have a serious question for all of you that are actually using any type of choker system.

I tried the ring bungge/choker system a time back and i could not get the top clipped worth a damn. with the clip so tight to the valve it was very difficult (as in impossible) for me to open the clip while trying to get it onto the ring.

How are you able to manage this?

Babyduck - be careful who you invite to "eat you"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom