Mares 52 Deep? Tec Worthy? Eh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helipilot86

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Just looking at the new Mares 52, was wondering if any one had taken these deep. Any difference than the 42? I might get a set of these for my deco bottles.

Any thoughts?

Mares is not a big player in the tec reg arena and I'm not sure about the models you are considering but I have used older MR12's as deco regs for a few years without issues. Just my 2 psi

Yea for sure, Not looking to put them on my back mount.

FWIW, I've dived a pair of Abyss 22s (the old, heavy ones) past 300 feet using them for back gas, as has my regular dive buddy (aka the wife). Performed beautifully, although I did need to de-tune the 2nds slightly to stop them free-flowing every time they went below about 150 feet. Mares apparently used to have a problem in the Abyss with the HP seat chattering and wearing out after about 10 deep dives, but they fixed that years ago. My partner and I regularly dive the same two pairs of Abysses to 230 feet or so.

Oh, and Mark Ellyat (yeah, yeah, the man everyone loves to hate) supposedly used Abyss 22s on some of his 600-foot plus dives.

Seems a bit of a waste using a reg that good for decos, unless you're making really deep switches. From 130 feet up, my deco regs are all Aqualung Calypsos (pistons) - cheap, simple, easy to maintain, and perfectly adequate. I've even been known to use them as stage regs on 200 foot dives when I can't be bothered to swap a load of hoses about and rig an Abyss 22- they do the job.

Just looking at the new Mares 52, was wondering if any one had taken these deep. Any difference than the 42? I might get a set of these for my deco bottles.

Any thoughts?

Mares makes great regs. I have never taken them really deep, but for deco bottles how does it matter. Use a cheap piston design for your deco bottles. The SP Mk2 is great for this.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom