Gearing up and Training for Cavern/Basic Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in the Tech Diving Specialties (I think)...but I finally have a good reason to. Two buddies and I just signed up for Cavern and Basic Cave with Jeff Loflin in Vortex Springs in late October. Problem is, I need to get quite a bit of stuff squared away before I head down there and embarrass myself in front of someone like Jeff Loflin. Also, I want to get stuff squared away so I can get the most out of the course, survive, and be allowed to take the course. His requirements are here. Anyway, I'm looking for advice on setup, gear, and pre-training Training tips. As far as gear is concerned, I've got a Hollis Elite2, S38, and Alu backplate. I've got a Hollis DC1/212 and am getting a DC3/212 as soon as they come in to stock. I'm also about to order a Hollis FX100 unless someone has other recommendations. As far as gear goes, I need a mask, fins, lights (3), reel, liftbag, and slate. I get a discount on Hollis, Oceanic, and Lavacore products.

My plan is to either get the small Hollis canister light (or used Canister light) and two small backup lights. I'll probably end up in either a HOG mask, or an M1/M4. As far as fins go, I'll probably be getting F1's unless I find something better/cheaper. I'm looking for a reel, Hollis reels are absurdly expensive. Are spools good or do I NEED a reel? If I need a reel, is this a good option? I really don't wanna spend $160 on a reel!! As far as liftbag, I'll get the Hollis 125lb bag unless I order something from PiranhaDiveMFG, then I'll get the 150# bag off of there.

I'm also hoping to take the course Sidemount, as I have none of the gear (and no desire) to dive back-mounted doubles. I'm hoping to get some gear stuff squared away first and then ask y'all for help setting up my gear for better sidemounting. I really hope I can get as much help as y'all are willing to give out. I'm missing some gear for SM (another SPG, some HP hoses (6-9")....but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Best to speak directly to your instructor on what gear is appropriate instead of a bunch of random divers on the internet. This will ensure that you show up equipped correctly and without having wasted money chasing random suggestions or buying inappropriate gear.

Relating my personal experience, my instructor/mentor called me and invited me to take a cavern/intro class a few months ago. I fell in with a two-man team, making it a threesome. The only gear I lacked was a reel. However, since the other two guys had reels, we were GTG, since only one main reel was used on each dive. Each diver had to be equipped with a 150' safety spool or safety reel at a minimum, but the big reel was a team resource. I have since bought my own main reel.

I looked at the reel in your link and I personally wouldn't buy it. It looks too plasticky and chintzy. It may be totally workable, but I wouldn't use it. I looked at the Hollis reel and it looks like a clone/copy of the Halcyon/LM reel, which is quite good. Should work well for you.

Now, I am not being snarky or smart-ass with my next comment, but if $160 for a good reel is disagreeable to you, you're REALLY not gonna like the rest of the costs involved in tech or cave diving.

Reactions: Jax
You should invest in a good reel as stated $160 is a drop in the bucket. The Hollis reel is excellent. I wouldn't buy the Spool in your link, look for a basic open faced spool. 125# lift bag is a big bag with a lot of lift. I don't see you deploying a bag in the overhead any way and as a drysuit diver you'll have redundant lift. I dive the Hollis FX100 and have nothing but good things to say about it.

The Hollis sms100 is a great sidemount rig. If your going sidemount you'll want to check it out.

One thing I would recommend would be to find a local mentor. I had a few friends who were cave divers that were willing to spend time with me at a local quarry. We practiced running reels in and out of the water. We practiced all the drills I'd see in class. They have spent a lot of time with me getting my BM and SM rigs squared away. You'll be at a huge advantage knowing what to expect before getting into the overhead for the first time. Because or their help, when I took my classes I breezed through them. Also at this level of diving your instructor isn't going to spend a lot of time working on your trim and buoyancy. You'll want to get these squared away before the class. So if your new to SM you'll want to spend some time with it in the open water.

Are you taking the course to learn how to cave dive, or to show your instructor your skills?

Before you graduate, you'll need to be good, but classes don't start off as a talent show... Call him up and ask him questions!

Primary reels are typically a team resource, and you can get them used. You'll need one safety spool but if you really like your life, you might want to invest in 2. Dive Rite spools run $15-$18, it's a very cheap expense.

The fins and mask don't really matter. Split fins don't work well with a frog kick but honestly don't worry at all about what brand or model you get as long as you are happy with it.

Don't dive sidemount in a hard backplate. It just won't work as well as a dedicated sidemount system without a lot of work, and the hard plate can kill you if you actually dive into sidemount cave. Used Dive Rite Nomads are cheap.

But really, if you have questions, call your instructor and ask him. He won't think less of you, it's not embarassing, and it'll help you get more out of the class.

Just finished cavern and intro in doubles with Rich Courtney. Had a blast!
Larry Green reels are by far the best. Cave Country dive shop has um! Not sure why you need a 125# lift bag. I also had a 18 watt Halcyon I was gonna use, but Cave Country took good care of us on the new LM 12 watt leds. Lithium 300 min burn. Awesome light! Intovia lights work great for back ups.
I went down thinking I would dive dry, but went wet. Made things alot easier. I started with my turtles but switched to my F1s.
IMHO you should practice S drills like your life depends on it! ! Oh yeah it does. Buoyancy is extremely important. Try to dive the exact configuration you will use down there. We practiced in cold water, so we had to change some things down there. If this is your first time like mine, don't forget to enjoy every minute. The caves are an incredible environment. Awe inspiring! If the current drought continues and the Florida government has their way they could all but disappear. Find a mentor to help and get there a day early to try some things out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338653061658.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338653061658.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 630

I'm also hoping to take the course Sidemount, as I have none of the gear (and no desire) to dive back-mounted doubles. I'm hoping to get some gear stuff squared away first and then ask y'all for help setting up my gear for better sidemounting. I really hope I can get as much help as y'all are willing to give out. I'm missing some gear for SM (another SPG, some HP hoses (6-9")....but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

You need to call Jeff and discuss this with him.

Don't go cheap on cave diving equipment. You want a good reel that is hard to jam or tangle. If the Hollis is a LM clone, it's a good reel. So are the LM reels, and the Halcyon reels. I like side-handle reels, myself, and ones where the spool is closely machined to the frame, so it's hard to get the line caught in the space. You do need a reel in addition to spools, because not all primary lines are within 100 feet of a cave's entrance.

I can't imagine why you would need a lift bag in a cave, unless that's your redundant buoyancy. If that's what you're thinking, I'd talk things over with your instructor before you buy an item with such limited applications.

No matter what setup you decide to do your class in, get your equipment well beforehand, and make sure your basic diving skills (buoyancy, trim, and stability with task-loading) are solid in it before you make the trip to Florida. No point in going down if you can't clear your mask without hitting the silt.

You need to call Jeff and discuss this with him.

Agree with Jim. You'll get a lot of conflicting information on internet forums. FWIW,go have fun,take your class,and learn new skills,then after getting some post-training dives,solicit opinions on these forums

Agree with all the above.

In particular,what are you going to do with a lift bag in a cave?

Dont you already have a mask?

And if a $160 reel is a dealbreaker you should probably consider a different pastime.

I wouldn't worry too much about the gear end of things, typically the first thing that happens in a cave class is you take it all apart and put it back together anyway. Talk to Jeff, you can probably rent/borrow most of the stuff you'll need until you figure out what you really want to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom