First dive trip, do I have everything I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcxd45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New diver here, I have been collecting my own set of gear for the last two months.
Mostly used CL stuff, a lot of people get out of this sport as quickly as they get in.
I have a trip to the Puget Sound next Friday and hope that I have everything I may need.
Anyway, I have:
7 mil John/Jacket/hood, 6 mil booties and 3 mil gloves (upon reccomendation it's better to have cold hands then reduced dexterity)
Fins w/extra strap/buckles
Two masks (with sea drops) and snorkels...I plan to carry the extra mask in my bc pocket while diving, wouldn't want to have to surface after possibly losing a mask might even help with finding it
Reg's serviced and tested once in a pool.
BC w/weight pouches and a weight belt (seems like a good idea to split up the weight so any loss/ditch is less of a buoyancy change)
Console with pressure gauge, computer, and compass
1000 lum primary light and a tec80 as a backup (I'm just getting started and am in over $1000 already)
1 aluminum 80 yoke and 2 aluminum 92's din, reg setup and tested for din and I have a yoke adapter.
Spare Air :shakehead: Don't know why the hatred, I like to have a 4th option for no air situations (buddy, octo, spare air cesa)
Goodie Bag, Safety sausage, whistle, primary and bc knife, coulple of snap locks
Start on a save a dive kit (silicone grease, o-rings, tools, manuals for everything, etc.)
OW card and dive log

Is there anything I'm missing?

The spare mask it the BCD pocket seems like overkill and the Spare Air would only be useful in shallow water dives. You are going to have to weigh your need for dexterity vs having cold hands. Very cold hands can reduce your dexterity more then thick gloves. The rest looks good assuming you have a reel to go with the safety sausage. I would recommend carabiners instead of snap locks as these are easier to work with when you are wearing gloves.

You appear to have all bases covered.

Spare mask on a dive is overkill IMHO unless you are planning to change them underwater. You have a hood and if the mask strap is under the hood you should not lose it. The only time I carry a spare mask is when I am trying out a new one and it will serve as a backup should the new feel right etc. I usually carry a spare mask on dive trips but have never had to use one.

+1 on the reel for the safety sausage / SMB

As for all the poo pooing of Spare Airs, having some is better than none and can be used in conjunction with CESA to reach the surface easily from 20M. Personally though a pony with regulator is a better option. As long as you monitor your air you should really never have use for either option unless something drastic happens to you air supply such as uncontrollable free flow from your main tank. In the many years of diving I have never seen this happen underwater.

Enjoy your first dive trip

A tarp to stand on if you don't have asphalt or concrete to stand on when getting your gear on/off and changed. Don't know if you are doing shore diving or what.

The spare mask it the BCD pocket seems like overkill and the Spare Air would only be useful in shallow water dives. You are going to have to weigh your need for dexterity vs having cold hands. Very cold hands can reduce your dexterity more then thick gloves. The rest looks good assuming you have a reel to go with the safety sausage. I would recommend carabiners instead of snap locks as these are easier to work with when you are wearing gloves.
It does seem a little like overkill to me too. I'd advise him to watch his gauges more and not bother with the spare air.

I rarely carry a spare mask on my person, and have never carried spare air. I would also add that I have a pair of 5 mil gloves that I use in water under 59 degrees and dexterity is still ok. 3 mil may suffice, however.
DivemasterDennis

At the minimum, I'd take my reg set, my dive computer, my mask/snorkel, and maybe my compass. I really don't like to pack everything, as the dive vacation company likely has cheap gear rentals (if not, I may reconsider) and it just seems like too much stuff for a plane. I just pack the gear on which my life depends.

Also, I'd bring my logbook and my CO analyzer (some may consider that overkill).

If it's local (i.e., a drive), I'd bring everything but the tanks. If it's going to be in cold water, I'd bring my drysuit.

Thanks for the replies!
It is a driving trip to Mikes Beach Resort on Hood Canal, so I assume shore dives.
I'll take the advice and leave the spare mask behind on my dives.
Keeping the spare air until I can add a pony/reg combo.....drysuit is higher in the list but they're $$$$$

Check whether you are required to tow a flag, and if so whether one of your team will have one.
You might want to include a slate and a pencil.
Consider how your lights are powered and how long the burn time is... do you need spare batteries?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom