Side Mount and Videography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Giving consideration to side mount diving to ensure enough gas to hit some deeper reefs with sufficient time to film. I find BP/W with doubles to be uncomfortable and at my advanced age a strain on my back. I used to do this with an HP120 and backup, but steel tanks and I have a bad history so I'm thinking dual Al 80s due to buoyancy characteristics (keeping them slightly up and out of the way) and no rust.

Wondering if there are side mount divers out there who also take video while diving their rigs. Would appreciate any feedback you're willing to offer!

I've done some videography whilst sidemounting on wreck penetrations. Always with AL80s, as that's what I get here. It's a very stable platform to video from.

[vimeo]37216162[/vimeo]

I've done some videography whilst sidemounting on wreck penetrations. Always with AL80s, as that's what I get here. It's a very stable platform to video from.
Plus ONE. I do videography with my sidemount rig, love the stability of twin AL80s.

I've gotten lots of video in sidemount. No issues whatsoever. In fact, got over 2 hours of video on one dive this past Thursday and got another 30 minutes of video today (didn't video the entire dive).

Any tips in changing regs while still hanging onto the camera? I haven't tried taking video's yet in my SM rig but would love to start doing so.

Just don't let them get to up and out of the way. When the tails come up, the valves go down. Keep them trimmed along your body and no problems. I use AL80's exclusively at the moment for side mount and never had a problem with video. I got hours and hours of video last weekend filming SUDS, and things worked great, even with single tank SM.

As for reg switching, no problem. Switch using one hand.

As for reg switching, no problem. Switch using one hand.

I switch regs on the trigger of my scooter while moving through a cave at 250 fpm. Switching with one hand while swimming with a camera is much easier.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I hadn't thought of the issue of switching regs single handed, but I do that occasionally with my current rig.

My question regarding stability really relates to the fact that I frequently film horizontal on the bottom and wondered whether the tanks might get in the way there, or stir up sediment.

They shouldn't cause a problem. If trimmed right they will be perfectly in line with your body and hidden in a profile view. Not hanging above or below you. If you look at the shot of me in single tank side mount below you will see that you can't see the tank. This is with a single AL80. Man, it looks like I have a gut there, but it is only because of the arch in my back. LOL..... Well, a tleast my butt looks good. LMAO!!! This was actually from a video dive I was doing. I handed off my camera for someone else to video me a little bit since I don't have much of myself.

165823_4152149767825_1907851312_n.jpg

Sorry for the potential hijack. When changing reg one handed, should I remove the one I'm breathing from before reaching out to unclip the other one? Just trying to picture this in my mind before trying it :)

Goes something like this?
Remove breathing reg -> Clip off -> Move up bungee'ed reg -> breath
Remove breathing reg -> Let it go -> Unclip reg -> breath

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom