Add deco bottle to sm bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmarinekurt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone have pics of a system that works well?
Or recommendations

Thanks

Oh , I use a Hollis SMS 100

I am pretty new to the deco + sm but here is what we are doing. I have a fixed length strap on the neck and a bungee and clip on the bottom. I clip the top to the shoulder d and the bottom to the butt door handle. The lower bungee makes connecting the bottle much easier. I find the deco bottle lays on top of the sm tank with no issues. I am doing TDI deco procedures right now and my instructor is happy with my setup. We are doing ditch and pick up drills with no issues. We are diving dry with heavy gloves also. My 2 cents.

Stano

I also don't like the way that 'traditional' stage set-ups work with sidemount - either mounted above, or below the primaries. The Sorensen (Dive Rite) method allows better adjustment and positioning, especially if you ride them at the top.

I am experimenting clipping deco directly to primary
Now this is merely an experiment but I will report back with my findings

I also don't like the way that 'traditional' stage set-ups work with sidemount - either mounted above, or below the primaries. The Sorensen (Dive Rite) method allows better adjustment and positioning, especially if you ride them at the top.

Which one is that?

(I get confused with them all).

Personally I use the Nomad Ring Bungie system, and just attach the deco/stage bottle like the sidemount bottle. What I like about the Nomad Ring bungie system is the the fact that adding bottles is less of a crowded feeling because they are down by the sides rather than up under the arms. I gone with up to five to try it out.

Which one is that?

(I get confused with them all).

Personally I use the Nomad Ring Bungie system, and just attach the deco/stage bottle like the sidemount bottle. What I like about the Nomad Ring bungie system is the the fact that adding bottles is less of a crowded feeling because they are down by the sides rather than up under the arms. I gone with up to five to try it out.

A loop of bungee around the tank neck, with bolt clip.
A bolt clip attached to the lower tank, via bungee (as per 'normal' but with bungee, not cord)

Bungee top and bottom holds the stage tighter and more in-line.

I only have cause to use two stages, but I mount them above the primaries, as they help with trimming out the main cylinders for the greater portion of the dive.

My grand plans are to dive 2 hp 100s and 2 al 40s
Not asking too much really

Decompression bottles need to be mounted where you can see them. If you mount them on top and pull the reg from them without visually verifying the cylinder you are just asking for trouble. Top mounting stage bottles that contain the same mix as your sidemount bottles is perfectly acceptable but top mounting deco bottles is not. There are better, safer, more streamlined methods of mounting deco bottles.

Decompression bottles need to be mounted where you can see them. If you mount them on top and pull the reg from them without visually verifying the cylinder you are just asking for trouble. Top mounting stage bottles that contain the same mix as your sidemount bottles is perfectly acceptable but top mounting deco bottles is not. There are better, safer, more streamlined methods of mounting deco bottles.

Why the assumption that you cannot visually verify a stage, if top-mounted? I've had no problems with doing this (especially when mounted with bungees, not cord) - provided the stages are marked appropriately at the tank neck, facing the diver when worn.

Rob - would love to hear your thoughts on "better, safer, more streamlined" methods - I've still not established my own preference/decision on staging with sidemount, even after 100+ dives.

Back
Top Bottom