Christmas Diving in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVS26

New
Reaction score
So I just got my open water qual, and I am heading to Oahu on Christmas day and stayin through New Year's. I am thinking of doing my Advanced stuff out there, but I have a few questions. First, where or with what company should I dive? Does anyone know if there's any deals for military types out there? Also, will I need a wet suit this time of year? I was thinking of buying a 3/2 which would be nice for me in the Mid-Atlantic area, where I'm heading soon. Will I need anything like that in HI? And while I'm at it, can anyone tell me what the difference between a $90 Body Glove 3/2 suit and a $200 Xcel suit is? Any reason to spend the extra $110? Thanks for any/all help.

Captain Bruice's is a pretty good outfit and I believe that they give military discount. They offer nitrox and 100 cf tanks and free pickup in the Waikiki (sp) area. I pretty sure that they will do an advanced course. Their website is www.captainbruce.com.

As far as wetsuit, I don't know about spending $200, but I think you'll probably want at least a shorty as the water temps will likely be around 75 + or - a degree.

I second 'ouachita.' I live out here and I dive exclusively with Island Divers Hawaii. They are great folks with reasonable prices and even have a shop on one of the military bases, so I would imagine they'll have some kind of discount for you. By the way, Wes is no longer here. The owner is still Matt. The guy who answers the phone is Max

Most people I know dive in 3mils - fulls or shortys - year round. The temp will probably be about 75.

Cheers,

Billfish

According to Matt, the owner of IDH, he moved to Oregon. Apparently he followed a girl there.

billfish

I just asked about Wes last weekend, and they said he would be in the next afternoon...

The mystery deepens... Maybe it was a short lived relationship. Anyone out there had a WES sighting. How about you Chepar??

(MVS26 -- Sorry to hijack your thread. Hope you found a good shop for your aow)

-billfish

haven't heard anything about Wes. Of course, I've been out of the loop dive-club wise for this past month - the Christmastime crazies and all.

But as to the "Where's Wes" question - What about Alfie?!?!

Anyway, I hope to get in some dives starting early next month - hope to see you guys out there soon. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom