BP/W Question on interchangeability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Shane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys and gals, I have tried to find the answer to my question by searching the forums and have had my questions partially answered. My question is how interchangeable are the wings of various manufacturers with various backplates, and how interchangeable are backplates with various harnesses?

It is my understanding that a STA gives a far greater degree of interchangeability for wings? Is this true? I was looking at a dive rite harness but the backplate does not have a STA from my understanding. I like the harness, is it possible to switch out the backplate with one which would have an STA if I wanted to go with a wing from a manufacturer like Halcyon?

What incompatible back plate/wing setups are you all aware of?

I have not come across a wing that will not work with my OMS bp. Majority of the harness are interchangeable, it just a select few that are not. The STA for bp/w are usually a separate from the wing, however some manufacturers have incorporated the STA in the Wing. I prefer a seperate STA. I even use an STA with my Oxycheq because and STA hold the tank better.

My system is mixture of all brands:
OMS backplate
DR Deluxe Harness
Oxycheq Wing (it has the built in STA)
DR Rec Wing
DR Classic EXP wing

I forgot who made my STA, but it's a good one. The bolts are pressed into the STA, so no carriage bolts to misplace.

I have a friend that has a Halycon bp with a Halcyon Cinch Harness (must be used with a Halcyon bp), and he uses an Oxycheq wing with an Oxycheq STA.

Another friend has an a generic single piece webbing, with an DR ABS bp, a Halcyon wing, and an Oxycheq STA.

There are so many manufactuers that it's quite a chore to match up wings to plates. An STA will work in most situations as most have the standard bolt hole spacing. Some wings don't have slots for cam bands, some plates don't either. Obviously it's best to stick with one company to ensure compatability. That said, I don't think I ever have, but I did what I could to make sure things worked. I stick with the tried and true hogarthian harness, no worries about compatability, previous to that I've used OMS harnesses as well as Diverite, those worked on an assortment of plates. What it comes down to is select each piece logically and then inquire as to the compatability, then be prepared to change.

harnesses aren't really an issue. the continuous webbing kind will fit on any plate i'm aware of, and while there might be some issue with some specialty deluxe harness, i can't think of one.

the problem is only if you're trying to use cambands to put your wing on your plate and the two sets of slots don't line up. if they do, you're golden. if they don't, you can skip using cambands alone and use cambands and an sta and poof - no issue.

mix and match all you want, just be prepared to also get an sta if your slots don't end up lining up, or indeed if your plate or wing don't happen to have camband slots.

As others have said "most" wings will work with an STA on "most" plates using 11" spaced centre holes which "most" plates have. It becomes more problematic when using wings without STAs. Oxycheq Mach v wings will work without STA on DiveRite plates, Hollis Plates and Scubapro plates I know this as I've tried. As for other combinations you'd need to check. my Oxycheq wings work fine with my AGIR plate using a STA. Buying wing and plate from same manufacturer such as Deep Sea Supply guarantees a match. Good luck.

Thanks for the response, I think this clears up much of what was cloudy. Thanks alot.

harnesses aren't really an issue. the continuous webbing kind will fit on any plate i'm aware of, and while there might be some issue with some specialty deluxe harness, i can't think of one.

the problem is only if you're trying to use cambands to put your wing on your plate and the two sets of slots don't line up. if they do, you're golden. if they don't, you can skip using cambands alone and use cambands and an sta and poof - no issue.

mix and match all you want, just be prepared to also get an sta if your slots don't end up lining up, or indeed if your plate or wing don't happen to have camband slots.

Could this issue be eliminated with the cam bands that separate? I want to be able to remove my wing for cleaning and I hate unlacing every time.
Cam bands

no. the issue is that the slots just don't line up. it would be like trying to button a shirt with 5 buttons to a shirt with 8 button holes - things just aren't in the right place to fit.

if you had an sta, all you have to do to undo things is unscrew two butterflies. totally no big deal.

Shane, If you want to use an STA, almost anything will work for you. The spacing between the bolt holes is standardized. As another poster mentioned a STA is separate item which will bolt to the backplate. So if you like the transpac harness you can buy a Diverite plate and attach an Oxycheq STA if you want. Also as mentioned most wings do not require a single tank adapter.

STA is a separate piece of hardware you can add onto your backplate. The holes separation is 11", an industrial standard, so any STA should fit on any plate. The wing just get sandwiched between the plate and STA.

If you decide not to use STA, three things much happen: 1) you backplate must have cam band slots. 2) you wing must have cam band slots. 3) the slot in 1) and 2) most line up properly.

So yes, using STA gives you more flexility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom