Nudie experts please chime in - is this the hooded nudiebranch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw tons of these suckers at Santa Rosa. Some were free swimming but most were planted on the giant kelp leaves doing heaven knows what - feeding or making whoopies?

HoodedNudiebranch5.jpg

HoodedNudiebranch4.jpg

HoodedNudiebranch3.jpg

Melibe leonina (Gould, 1852) : Hooded Nudibranch Phylum Mollusca / Class Gastropoda / Subclass Opisthobranchia / Order Nudibranchia / Family Tethyidae

They mate and lay their eggs on kelp fronds. I've never seen one on a paper plate before.

:depressed:

1024.jpg

That's what the kelp leaves looked like.

And no hooded nudies were harmed in the making of this post.:D It was a catch & release program.

Melibe leonina (Gould, 1852) : Hooded Nudibranch Phylum Mollusca / Class Gastropoda / Subclass Opisthobranchia / Order Nudibranchia / Family Tethyidae

They mate and lay their eggs on kelp fronds. I've never seen one on a paper plate before.

:depressed:

1024.jpg

I've been to a couple of sites where these nudis swarm . . . our Edmonds Underwater Park has them by the hundreds in the eelgrass in the summertime, and there is a site on north Vancouver Island which reliably has similar numbers:

PA135370.jpg

I've seen the eggs before on the kelp leaves but I must admit to never have seen the hooded nudies while they were mating on the leaves or swimming about until now. These things are so cool, I think that they are now my favorite nudies.

Really? No harmed nudibranchs, by removing them, transferring them to the deck of a boat, and back into the ocean, even if they were encapsulated in water the whole time?? I'm gonna try that!! New hobbie! Bring em all back, I didn't know they was as tough as old shore divers!

Really? No harmed nudibranchs, by removing them, transferring them to the deck of a boat, and back into the ocean, even if they were encapsulated in water the whole time?? I'm gonna try that!! New hobbie! Bring em all back, I didn't know they was as tough as old shore divers!

So, you're against lobster catch & release too? Or fishing catch & release? Damn those marine biologists for netting and tagging marine/aquatic animals!!!

So, you're against lobster catch & release too? Or fishing catch & release? Damn those marine biologists for netting and tagging marine/aquatic animals!!!
Why not just do spear and release? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom