Flights out of Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guys just looking for any personal experiences you could share for you that have taken this route. Im mainly enquiring about flights out of Sorong - Express or Merpati. Anyone had any major delays with these airlines and whats the update on delays out of Sorong currently - has it improved?

Are the reported delays I hear specific to a particular carrier or general or totally unpredictable across the board. I might be looking at booking an interconnect via Express or Merpati from Sorong to Ujung Pandang (Makassar) en route to Denpasar.

My Lion Air flight out of Makassar that Im looking to book leaves at 17:50. The Express Air scheduled to arrive 13:10 and Merpati 14:05. Having never flown with these carriers I dont know what to expect.

I need to know if I should just overnight in Makassar or take the chance with the Denpasar flight that evening.

Any first hand advice appreciated.

I'm not up to date with the current flight schedules and situations, so I base what I write here based on what I saw last December. Use the time given by Merpati more as a guideline. I would avoid Merpati if I were you, especially if you are looking into making the connection on the same day. When I was there, Express was quite on time. There is also Sriwijaya Air, which I took. It was on time when I took it, and it left Sorong an hour earlier compared to Express. With Express or Sriwijaya, there is a good chance that you'll make your connection to Denpasar on the same day. No guarantees though, nobody can predict what the weather is like the day you leave Sorong, keeping in mind that Sorong airport is kind of primitive.

On our first trip out of Sorong, we flew Express to Makassar, where we were to claim our luggage and re-check on another airline to Bali. All well and good, except the flight was overweight, and they left our dive bags sitting on the ground in Sorong. Oh yeah, they were also almost two hours late at this point (perfect weather). Oh yeah, and on board we found that Express has a seat pitch (space between seats) suited to only the smallest of Asians, not someone 6'3". I spent the flight with my legs out in the aisle, as there was no physical way for me to put them in front of me. This is where the extra day that you allow for travel in Indonesia paid off. Our bags got to Bali 24 hours later, which was 12 hours before our return flight to the States. Had we returned straight home from Sorong, our dive gear never would have gone with us.

Oh dear avoid Merpati as it will be delayed, but fly Express and be on time but not have your luggage??

Does it look like Im overnighting in Makkasar then instead of going direct to Bali? Bear in mind my flight back home is the next day anyway. But I would prefer to overnight in Bali than Makassar but I dont want to miss any interconnects of course!

Last edited:
Oh dear avoid Merpati as it will be delayed, but fly Express and be on time but not have your luggage??

Does it look like Im overnighting in Makkasar then instead of going direct to Bali? Bear in mind my flight back home is the next day anyway. But I would prefer to overnight in Bali than Makassar but I dont want to miss any interconnects of course!

I would risk it, but this is just me. Worst comes to worse, overnight in Makassar, and explain the situation to the airline, they will sort it out - Better, fly with an airline that does Sorong - Makassar and then Makassar- Denpasar

Just FYI, the rest of the group on my liveaboard were taking Express, and they didn't have any problems with the plane being overweight. Of course, YMMV. Given the choice between Express and Merpati, I would choose Express without hesitation.

I agree with Highdesert there is no leg room on the Express flights I'm only 5'9''.

We have flown out of Sorong 3x and our flights have been late all 3 times. We have flown various airlines out of there including Express. We always risk it and take the chance and it has always worked out even though the flights have all been late! I would take the Express flight just to have a little more leeway! The only thing that keeps us from going to RA again is the pain of the internal flights and that horrible Sorong airport! That is why last time we flew into Sorong and then the boat went up to Lembeh! Yey! No so wrong airport wait!!! It will be interesting to see how our Merapati flight from Bali to LBJ goes for our upcoming trip! Have fun!

I didn't have any significant problems. Went Express Air on the way out (Jakarta to Sorong via Makkasar) and Lion Air on the way back (Ambon to Bali via Makkasar). I think they were both a bit late but not massively so. It wasn't clear what they would have done if I had missed the connection but it all seemed to be quite organised in Makkasar. Had to get off the plane both times but only had to change planes on the way back. Even if you are going onwards on the same flight, you have to go to the desk to get a little ticket/'recheck' in but it didn't take that long.

Express air was better than Lion air (refreshments included with Express). Both planes small ish (but then I'm only 5'4) but ok. I would however recommend taking a jumper with you - I was freezing on both planes (and I'm not someone who usually gets that cold).

Personally, I'd take the chance and go for Bali ! I don't think I had as much time for the connection as that and although it was a bit tight, it was fine.

Hope you have a fantastic time. Let us know how you get on :)

Hey thanks guys didnt expect such prompt responses! Im 5"8 so maybe ok.. But I do have a large cabin sized camera roller bag which always goes in the intermediate cargo on Lion Air domestic (overheads too small) When you folk say there are always delays - how long are the delays? I can deal with 1-2 hours but more than that I may have to overnight in Makassar on the way out, it would be cutting it too fine to catch the Lion flight at 17:50 and Ive found Lion to always be pretty much on time, especially out of swanky new Makassar airport. (But the Lion Air out of Sorong to Bali via Ambon leaves at 6am or something I have to find out when the liveaboard actually comes in - if its the night before then this is doable for an extra early morning wakeup call! )

And of course I prefer to overnight in Bali instead of Makassar in my regular familiar hotel with a chance of a good spa treament in my transit time!

I hear avoid Merpati - just wondering why? Express or Lion seems the way to go here??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom